Clinical Research Specialist - Structural Heart - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Clinical Research Specialist position is responsible for supporting multiple projects under supervision of Clinical Trial Manager which may include clinical research protocols, gathering patient data via methods specified in the study protocol, study reports. This position ensures accurate data collection, documentation organization, and safety of study volunteers.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Supports the interprofessional team of clinical research investigators, nurses and coordinators. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team-focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. (EF)
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs clinical research support functions as assigned by the clinical trial manager including but not limited to informed consent for non-interventional studies, data abstraction and recording in CRFs. (EF)
- Makes phone calls to study patients for appointment reminders and follow-up. (EF)
- Transports blood and tissue samples. Processes and packages lab samples for shipping to sponsor or storage at site per the study manual of operations. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Completes required case report forms and resolves queries. Ensures accurate data collection, documentation organization, and safety of study volunteers. Ensures accurate regulatory filing. (EF)
- Assists Clinical Trial Manager in identifying opportunities research work flow process improvement, providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Assures study conduct meets appropriate IRB, FDA, ICH and agency guidelines. (EF)
- Utilizes resources with cost effectiveness and value creation in mind. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, assisting coworkers as needed. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Assist in simple data analysis, with development of training materials for data reports, systems and collection and report generation. (EF)
- Leads and identifies opportunities for performance improvement. Supports change initiatives and adapts to unexpected changes. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-development needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in health science-related field
o One year experience in healthcare setting preferred
o Research setting preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED.
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Exhibits good listening skills
o Ability to work independently and analyze and solve problems
o Demonstrates the ability to manage clinical and interpersonal situations
o Able to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects
o Self-motivated with the ability to think critically and work independently
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Some assignments may be in hospital units (including laboratory) with typical hospital environmental hazards and concerns _
The Houston Methodist Academic Institute team science approach bridges the boundaries between medical specialties and research and development labs to advance the practice of medicine and population health. We innovate in health care delivery and technology by streamlining the path discoveries take into the clinic with inventive development and adoption practices. Our teams are also dedicated to training clinicians and researchers from around the world in translational medicine and advanced technology. Houston Methodist's primary academic affiliates are top-ranked Weill Cornell Medical College and the Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences for faculty appointments and graduate programs offered on our Houston campus. The Institute oversees 600,000 sq ft of dedicated space and the administrative and operational infrastructure for basic and applied research and clinical trials, including more than 20 advanced tech core facilities, extramural funding management, regulatory and legal strategy and compliance, and product development and commercialization. This infrastructure is fully integrated with our hospital systems and supports more than 50,000 learners, 700 faculty, 2000 credentialed researchers, 6,000 research projects and clinical trials that creates innovative breakthroughs in human disease and the practice of medicine every day.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw