Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Science and technology on a mission
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
Livermore’s defining responsibility is ensuring the safety, security and reliability of the nation’s nuclear deterrent. Yet LLNL’s mission is broader than stockpile stewardship, as dangers ranging from nuclear proliferation and terrorism to energy shortages and climate change threaten national security and global stability. The Laboratory’s science and engineering are being applied to achieve breakthroughs for counterterrorism and nonproliferation, defense and intelligence, energy and environmental security.Our Mission
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has a mission of strengthening the United States’ security through development and application of world-class science and technology to:
- Enhance the nation’s defense.
- Reduce the global threat from terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.
- And respond with vision, quality, integrity and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance.
- Lead the nation in stockpile science, innovation and sustainment.
- Be the foremost national security laboratory, anticipating, innovating and delivering solutions for the nation’s most challenging security problems.
- Be the premier destination for our nation’s very best scientists and engineers.
- Ideas. Livermore is the “new ideas” laboratory, and we continue to aspire to intellectual leadership, originality, and audacity. We support an environment that encourages open exchange and critique. Ideas also improve operations and lead to new, better ways of doing business.
- Impact. Innovation happens when new ideas have impact—on our mission, on people’s lives. Ultimately, our success depends on applying frontier science and technology, through disciplined engineering, to deliver solutions for—have impact on—our mission.
- Integrity. We serve the public interest and act to sustain the public trust through transparency, honesty, and objectivity. We act ethically in our research activities, our business practices, and our interactions with each other. We are dedicated to collective success, and committed to safety and security as an integral part of the mission.
- Inclusiveness. The challenges of our mission demand that we draw on the widest possible diversity of talents, thought, and experiences. To capitalize on the range of individual and diverse talents needed for mission success, we form and work in teams, characterized by mutual respect and support.
- Zeal. It’s good to love what you do. We value enthusiasm for and commitment to the Lab’s mission. We have a “fire in the belly” to excel, lead, and change the world. And as an institution, the Lab will aspire to be a place where people can find fulfillment and love their work. Our Priorities
- Deliver on our stockpile stewardship mission.
- Enhance and expand our mission in the broad national security space.
- Sustain and ensure that we are at the cutting edge in the science, engineering and technology capabilities our sponsors need.
- Ensure excellence in execution: deliver results of the highest quality, on schedule and on budget.
- Ensure excellence in operations: safety, security, environment and state of the art business practices and processes.
- Improve our cost effectiveness.
- Provide a first-class workplace environment to our employees.
- Expand our contributions to the local and national economy through partnerships with academia and industry.