Cyber Infrastructure Engineer - MCS - Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center - Military Veterans
at Carnegie Mellon University
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) a joint research center of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, was established in 1986, and for over 30 years has provided university, government, and industrial researchers with access to several of the most powerful systems for advanced computational research, communications, and data storage available to scientists, engineers and scholars nationwide for unclassified research. PSC advances science across a wide spectrum of fields, including artificial intelligence / machine learning, medical imaging, weather modeling, cell biology, and genomics.
PSC is seeking creative and capable individuals to join our highly experienced Advanced Systems and Operations team as our new Cyber Infrastructure Engineer to continue our part in pushing forward the boundaries of science. The successful candidate will collaborate with the research community and key IT staff to create robust solutions by designing and implementing next-generation infrastructure. They will be responsible for planning and managing automations while also maintaining the current PSC resources. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team at the nexus of technology, research, and software development dedicated to helping the scientific community tackle challenging and complex problems.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Conceives, designs, implements, administers, optimizes and monitors existing and future HPC systems and the cyber infrastructure that supports them.
- Collaborate with research teams and head technology responsibilities for grant implementation.
- Build relationships with research community and external vendors.
- Assess and provide sophisticated technical support to research community for ongoing and future systems and/or application needs.
- Contribute to best practices, documentation, and published papers.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
- Engineer tools and automations to assist with maintenance tasks.
- Research and explore next-generation technologies for future implementation.
- Perform operating system software upgrades, deployments and troubleshooting of the project servers and desktop workstations.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within PSC. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to optimally interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Experience writing and/or extending systems administration software (e.g. utilities, libraries, plugins)
- Experience with parallel file systems (e.g. Lustre, GPFS)
- Experience in high performance computing (HPC) environment.
- Experience with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible for systems and networking.
- Experience with virtualization management infrastructure such as oVirt, VMWare, KVM
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS, GCP, OpenStack, or Azure.
- Experience with containerize execution such as Singularity, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with Linux systems administration
- Experience with file system administration.
- Experience with network switching and routing.
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Python, BASH)
- Desire to teach, learn and lead for continuing team development.
- Successful background check
- Work Posture: This position is operating on a hybrid schedule, with an on-campus/in office presence 3 days a week.
Carnegie Mellon considers numerous factors when extending offers of employment including but not limited to, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, and geographic differentials.”
Joining the CMU team opens the door to an array of exceptional benefits, available to all full-time Carnegie Mellon University employees. Experience the full spectrum of advantages, from comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance to enticing retirement savings programs. Unlock your potential with tuition benefits, and take well-deserved breaks with generous paid time off and holidays. Rest easy knowing you're covered by life and accidental death and disability insurance. For a comprehensive overview of the benefits awaiting you, explore: https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance.
At Carnegie Mellon, we value the whole package when extending offers of employment. Beyond just credentials, we consider the role & responsibilities, your invaluable work experience, and the knowledge gained through education and training. We acknowledge and appreciate your unique key skills and the diverse perspectives you bring. Our dedication to fostering an inclusive work environment means we also account for geographic differentials. Your journey with us is about more than just a job; it’s about finding the perfect fit for your professional growth and personal aspirations.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
Job FunctionSoftware/Applications Development/Engineering
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance
Carnegie Mellon University founder Andrew Carnegie said: "My heart is in the work." No statement better captures the passion and drive of our people to make a real difference. At Carnegie Mellon, we're not afraid of the work. Our educational environment creates problem solvers, drivers of innovation and pioneers in technology and the arts. Employers in every field say our graduates are ready to hit the ground running the day they graduate. So, join us. Whether you're looking for a career or an education. Or both.