Sr Surgical Technologist (CST) - Cardiovascular - Operating Room Services -Walter Tower 3 - PRN - Days - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Surgical Technologist position requires proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position works independently, exercising sound judgement, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse or surgeon. In addition to performing the duties and responsibilities of a Surgical Technologist, the Sr Surgical Technologist position provides mentoring and guidance for Surgical Technologist positions, utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others. This position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship-centered care in concert with Houston Methodist values. Other duties for the Sr Surgical Technologist position will include general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional health care team to achieve optimal department results. Facilitates open, professional (verbal, nonverbal, written) communication which includes active listening and teaching to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example. (EF)
- Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up, providing structured feedback with examples. Serves as the department preceptor for new surgical technologists, utilizing skills and knowledge to train and orient others. (EF)
- Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards improvement of department score for employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Prepares the operating room, equipment and supplies for the next patient. Anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure before surgeon scrubs. Maintains and accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards within the applicable service line. (EF)
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff by passing instruments and supplies for surgical procedures, performing competently the role of the surgical technologist in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, CV, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures. (EF)
- Assists the circulating RN with sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts. (EF)
- Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during pre and post procedures. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization, following surgical procedure. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of the room. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and teaching of department-based safety initiatives and standards of practice. Problem-solves and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision. (EF)
- Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care. Initiates corrective actions and improvement activities towards improving department and hospital quality and safety targets, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional healthcare team. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery. Makes recommendations for cost containment during cases. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Identifies and presents areas for innovation, efficiency and improvement for department projects and shared governance activities. May co-chair a unit-based Shared Governance Council. (EF)
- Acts as resource in surgical technology for the department on other hospital committees. Participates in one department or hospital committee or subcommittee and facilitates the accomplishment of the goals of the committee or subcommittee. (EF)
- Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance knowledge and learning towards expertise in competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the My Development plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
o Two years as a Surgical Technologist
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association, National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) or meet the grandfather clause
Grandfather clause (Bill 643): The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement. SB1239, Sec 259.002: 30 CEUs shall be completed every two years.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates understanding of medical terminology
o Demonstrates independence and exercises sound judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team and patients and their families
o Demonstrates proficient knowledge and appropriate use of hospital database such as EPIC. Ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system
o Strong knowledge in use of procedure software
o Demonstrates proficient knowledge of instruments sets, the use of the individual surgical instruments, surgical supplies and the use of the supplies
o Demonstrates competency in decontamination and use of autoclave equipment
o Demonstrate expertise and serves as a clinical resource in a minimum of one or more surgical specialty service lines
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept. approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw