Project Specialist - Cardiac Cath Lab - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Project Specialist position provides analytical and specialized technical support to department management as well as basic financial tracking of department expenditures, processing of invoices as appropriate. This position is responsible for specific moderately complex, project-oriented assignments which include leading, coordinating and completing projects related to operational activities. The Project Specialist position must be resourceful in seeking solutions, be pro-active and have the ability to handle multiple projects at one time with extreme attention to detail. This position works under the guidance and direction of management and is accountable for high-level clerical support functions, project work and compliance activities including analysis, implementation, coordination, and reporting of project activities initiated by or assigned to department. Additionally, this position serves as a resource in facilitating the implementation and/or rollout of initiatives and tracks to ensure implementation is meeting scheduled milestones.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Facilitates open, professional (verbal, nonverbal, written) communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional, providing the highest quality service during every customer and patient encounter. (EF)
- Participates in, and may direct, problem definition and resolution activities. Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential. (EF)
- Effectively communicates with key contacts to obtain information that relates to strategic initiatives as highlighted by management. Presents information to management to support decision-making. (EF)
- Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment such as mitigation of conflict. Contributes to improvement of department scores for employee engagement on department scorecard. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Conserves management's time by reading, researching, collecting and analyzing information. Composes complex confidential correspondence for administrative purposes. Prepares materials for formal or informational presentations. (EF)
- Coordinates meetings relevant to project scope. Prepares meeting minutes and meeting materials as requested. Performs administrative and operational activities of a complex nature as appropriate. Maintains confidential documents, prepares agendas for matters of consideration at meetings, establishes priorities and deadlines for completion of projects, and works with co-workers in overflow of work and responsibilities. (EF)
- Serves as support to interprofessional workgroups throughout all HM entities. Assists during internal audits and other audits as appropriate. Works in collaboration with other entity operations staff to ensure synergy in duties and reporting. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Responsible for the management and completion of projects within the department, tracking and documenting data management, project progress and maintaining accurate project record files. Updates actual progress and forecasts remaining work schedule. (EF)
- Performs data management and analysis with little supervision. Conducts data analysis and creates reports and spreadsheets using various software, based on project needs or deliverables, in order to track project benchmarks and make recommendations for change. Utilizes technology resources for assigned projects. (EF)
- Ensures quality and timely execution of project deliverables. Coordinates multiple deadlines related to project scope, requiring resources including but not limited to reports and presentations. Thoroughly tracks all metrics related to activities and maintains associated paperwork, files and calendar documentation. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. Utilizes time efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Assists in the preparation, tracking, and projection of annual operating budget and other department activities. Provides support in development and monitoring of system operations and project budget, as appropriate. (EF)
- Provides monthly reports and works with applicable departments (e.g. MARS, Finance, etc.) to verify department transactional accuracy, as assigned. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs, consults with team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and activities. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree
- Two years experience in related discipline to include one year of project management experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Advanced spreadsheet skills (i.e. creating pivot tables, performing v-lookups, and managing large data sets). Intermediate word-processing and presentation software skills
- Strong project and time management skills
- Initiative - Exhibits resourcefulness, independent action and judgment that are position appropriate. Evaluates, selects and acts on various methods and strategies for solving problems and meeting objectives
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the face of changing demands
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above. Travel** May require travel within Yes Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area **Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw