Welder - Military Veterans
at Atlas Copco
Support the manufacturing of Turbo Expander Package piping systems and Core Housing piping in such a way that operations are carried out safely, and efficiently while meeting engineering, and quality requirements, while meeting schedule, and budget goals. In addition to welding, Welders will be able to perform or assist in tasks such as fit-up, preparation, repair, and other tasks related to welding, shop maintenance, and staging.
The compensation for this position is based on skill. A Welder I makes $23.15 per hour and a Welder V makes $36.06 per hour. Atlas Copco provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave, tuition assistance, referral bonus and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
- Comply with safety rules, ISO, and Environmental regulations and procedures
- Maintain records and product quality according to standards and procedures
- Communicate regularly with supervisor on issues and concerns with work
- Perform welder repetitive injury prevention stretches daily
- Efficiently produce quality welds
- Diagnose and correct fit problems
- Assist with fit-up and preparation of welds, cut and bevel pipe
- Perform welding procedures on a wide range of similar and dissimilar metals.
- Perform Welding process in various positions: flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead
- Perform TIG welding process on P1-P1, P8-P8 and P1-P8 base metals for 1/2" - 6" schedule 40 or 80 NPS, on filet and full pen joints
- TIG Weld auxiliary pipe spools to Core Housings and Spools
- Layout and fit up main components on a skid according to drawing specifications
- Fabricate supports for piping, tubing, and electrical components
- Set up Argon supply station by performing a change-over of six-pack Argon high-pressure bottles
- Daily work area clean-up
- Perform other tasks as directed by supervisor (e.g. help painter, prepare machinery for shipment, set up skid on the shop floor, pipe spool pressure test, lube oil flush process, electrical work ...etc.)
- High School Diploma or GED required; AWS, D1.1 Certification, Technical School or Associate's degree preferred.
- Possess knowledge including, but not limited to, of ASME Sec. IX, ASME Sec. VIII Div. 1, ASME Sec. B31.3 and ASME/AWS D1.1.
- Must perform simple mathematical functions and have a working understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Basic technical knowledge regarding the most common base materials used in welding (e.g. Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel).
- TIG Welding, on small-bore pipe/fittings (.5"-6" dia., schedule 40 & 80) with a combination of similar and dissimilar metals such as P1-P1 / P8-P8 / P1-P8 base metals.
- SMAW Welding, P1-P1 1" plate placed on 3G position.
- MIG Welding, P1-P1 3/8" plate placed on 3G position.
- Experience with Aluminum and Brass welding.
- Proficient with Oxygen/Acetylene cutting torch.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of welding equipment, and the ability to perform basic maintenance of welding units.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge to select proper filler metal required to perform weld work for a variety of base metals and welding processes; Demonstrate thorough knowledge to select proper shielding gases required to perform weld work with a different type of welding processes.
- Ability to control wire feed, Amps, and speed to avoid problems in relation to overheating, distortion, expansion, or shrink of parts.
- Read and understand CAD drawings, and written instructions.
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing and 5S Program.
- Self-Starter, willing to learn; Strong planning, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills; Adaptability (modifies approach based on changing situations).
- Interpersonal skills including communication, positive attitude, team player.
- Must be detail-oriented, be responsible, and have a good work ethic.
- Ability to visualize what the finished product should look like.
- Working Conditions: Manufacturing environment; Ability to work overtime
- Essential Physical Tasks: Must be able to stand and/or be on their feet 8-12 hours/day, excluding meal break, and rest periods. Must be able to lift 50lbs waist level as needed, heavier items are moved with cranes, pallet jacks, or forklifts. Must be able to safely use ladders, steps, or other lifts as needed. Must be able to reach overhead, sit, squat, kneel, twist, crawl, or bend during welding, grinding, measuring, or when placing equipment in assigned locations.
- Mental Abilities: Must be able to speak, read and understand English.
- Equipment Used: Hand and power tools such as beveller, drill motors, magnetic drills, grinders, band saws, drill press, ironworker, pipe threader, belt sanders, stationary grinders, lathe, and Tungsten sharpener impact tools, wrenches, levels, measuring devices...and more. Also, perform basic maintenance of the tools mentioned. Operate forklifts, cranes, hoists, pallet jacks, and another tooling as required.
- Must pass pre-employment background, drug, and alcohol screening, and participate in the company's Random-Drug Screening program for this position.
At Atlas Copco we believe in challenging the status quo, always looking for a better way. Our leading-edge technology enables us to innovate for a sustainable future.
We believe that people make it happen and with us you are empowered to act. Your ideas can make a real difference and contribute to the quality of life for people everywhere.
We offer a wide range of interesting job roles and many opportunities to grow. This is where it begins - Join us at the Home of Industrial Ideas.
Atlas Copco Mafi-Trench Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Santa Maria, TX
Great ideas accelerate innovation. At Atlas Copco, we have been turning industrial ideas into business-critical benefits since 1873. By listening to our customers and knowing their needs, we deliver value and innovate with the future in mind. Atlas Copco is based in Stockholm, Sweden, with customers in more than 180 countries. In 2019, Atlas Copco had revenues of BSEK104 (BEUR 10) and about 39 000 employees at year-end.
Our Employee Benefits:
Atlas Copco offers our employees a comprehensive Total Rewards package with competitive well-being, health care, life insurance and retirement benefits and perks such as:
- Excellent compensation package, including a flexible benefits plan, and generous 401 (k) retirement plan
- Health insurance/ Dental insurance/ Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Life & Disability insurance
- Salary based on knowledge, skills, and experience.
What Happens After I Apply?
Once you click ‘Apply Now’ on an Atlas Copco job posting, you will either be re-directed to fill out an application on their career page or be given a confirmation of submission. If you get redirected, please complete the application on Atlas Copco's career page and make sure you have an updated resume uploaded to your RecruitMilitary profile. Once Atlas Copco reviews your resume and profile, a recruiter will reach out to provide you with more information and to schedule you for an interview.
How to Win An Interview
1. Review the job description for the specific position you are applying for.
2. Review the company website. Know their mission and values. What do they do? What are their products?
3. Prepare a few questions to ask on your interview.
4. Prepare to discuss your military or civilian background and how it relates to the position.
5. Check out the RecruitMilitary Resources tab for resume guidance, interview prep and more!