Manager, Research Safety Committees - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Manager Research Protection position is responsible for providing specialized administrative support, regulatory compliance review and management of specific regulatory committees in the Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute (HMRI) which include tInstitutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) Raditional Safety Committee (RSC) and Hazardous Substance Committee (HSC). This position will assist the Director to ensure operational needs/capabilities, ensure appropriate compliance with institutional and accrediting agency regulations, and guidelines and manage the operations of the Hazardous Substance Committee, and the Institutional Biosafety Committee. The Research Protections Manager position possesses the regulatory and policy knowledge for operation of these regulatory committees.
The manager position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also Raditional Safety implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/ government regulations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
- Provides fair and consistent leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
- Facilitates and promotes effective team dynamics and teambuilding strategies within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
- Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators. (EF)
- Collaborates with Committee Chairs, members and HMRI and PO administrators to assure that issues and concerns relevant to multiple committees are communicated appropriately. (EF)
- Trains and oversees scientific staff and post-docs on preparation and submission of Animal Use Protocols and HSC and IBC applications. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Plans and organizes day-to-day department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
- Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
- Oversees the operation of the RSC, IBC, and HSC. (EF)
- Represents Research Protections by serving on the HMH Environment of Care or other applicable Committees. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines, including infection control principles. Monitors and confirms staff maintain their required credentials that demonstrate competency per accrediting agency or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
- Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, reporting accidents, near misses, and/or adverse events immediately per department protocol and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
- Monitors self and employee compliance with policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
- Ensures operational needs/capabilities, appropriate compliance with institutional and accrediting agency regulations, and guidelines. (EF)
- Provides specialized administrative support, regulatory compliance review and management of specific regulatory committees. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department/patient needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
- Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed/shared governance activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
- Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change; follows through to ensure effective, sustainable change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates My Development Plan (MDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development. (EF)
- Interfaces with Research Technology to optimize electronic submission process. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in scientific discipline/life sciences (or relevant field)
o Master’s preferred
o Three years of experience in animal care administration or related regulatory experience, of which one year must have been in a people management role
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certified Professional Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Administrator (CPIA) within one year of hire/transfer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Knowledge of USDA, AAALAC, OLAW, OBA regulations and guidance
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented
o Skilled at managing multiple projects with conflicting priorities.
o Familiarity with animal research
o Knowledge of documentation, regulation and processes for animal research, recombinant material, and hazardous substances in research.
o Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: office or laboratory environment
Houston Methodist Academic Institute was formed to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The Research Institute was created in 2004 to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000-square-foot building dedicated to research and clinical trials, the Academic Institute houses over 2,110 credentialed researchers conducting 1,387 ongoing clinical protocols.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw