Manufacturing Engineer 1-2 (R&D Engineer 1-2) - Military Veterans
at Los Alamos National Laboratory
Job Title Manufacturing Engineer 1-2 (R&D Engineer 1-2)
Location Los Alamos, NM, US
Organization Name PF-PROD/Prototype Fabrication Production
What You Will Do
This position will be filled at either the R&D Engineer 1 or 2 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
The Prototype Fabrication (PF) Division at Los Alamos National Laboratory has experience and expertise in machining, fabrication and precision dimensional inspection of critical hardware needed to support the nation's stockpile stewardship efforts. The successful candidate will be joining a dedicated staff of engineers, programmers, journeymen machinists, dimensional inspectors, and quality assurance professionals supporting multiple programs with manufactured components ranging in size through a wide variety of materials including those with radioactive, toxic, pyrophoric, and/or other hazardous characteristics for a broad customer base, both within LANL and within the Nuclear Weapons Complex.
R&D Engineer 1 ($90,000 - $147,100)
As an R&D Engineer 1 you will have the opportunity to support diverse engineering assignments within a manufacturing environment. Typical assignments will include supporting production agency requirements that require high formality of operations in the PF Mark Quality Manufacturing Center (MQMC), new product review, integration and process development onto the manufacturing shop floor, and new equipment installation and capability development throughout the division. In each of these areas you will be required to learn, support, and ensure that the diverse capabilities and resources necessary for the manufacture of product adhere to both the technical and quality related design requirements. This will include working directly with our diverse customer base, establishing priorities and providing oversight for incoming work and for other special projects. You will serve as the primary interface between program and line management for small and less complex projects, and support equipment installations, maintenance, and operations.
R&D Engineer 2 ($99,200 - $164,100)
In addition to what was outlined at the lower level, at this level you will be responsible for leading projects of larger scope and impact based on your additional years of experience.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Working knowledge and experience supporting the manufacturing of products that meet the technical and quality standards set forth on the product definition through the application of engineering practices and principles. General familiarity with manufacturing processes, material selection, tooling development, welding, machining, and inspection.
- Working knowledge of CAD/CAM software, preferably CREO and Mastercam.
- Working knowledge applying engineering practices and principles supporting capability development within a manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in project management for technical or operational work, including the development of project plans, managing scope, schedule, and budget; and identifying and managing risks for projects of limited scope and complexity. Ability to manage multiple priorities across multiple projects and meeting deadlines.
- Strong writing ability and verbal communication skills required to independently prepare and present data and reports to peers, senior colleagues, management, and customers.
- Demonstrated record of dependability, reliability, and commitment to the long-term needs of the job duties and programmatic goals of the organization.
- Advanced working knowledge and experience supporting the manufacturing of products that meet the technical and quality standards set forth on the product definition through the application of engineering practices and principles. Demonstrated ability to support and define manufacturing processes on complex configuration components and assemblies.
- Advanced working knowledge applying engineering practices and principles supporting capability development within a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects of advanced scope and complexity.
Education/Experience at higher level: Position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution and 4 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation.
- Previous experience supporting R&D CNC machining and inspection operations within a complex manufacturing environment.
- Experience using an ERP/MRP software, perferrably JobBoss, within a manufacturing environment to document and control manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated ability to estimate time and budget requirements to meet customer product specification.
- Knowledge or ASQ certifications in Quality Engineering, SPC, or Lean/Six Sigma manufacturing methodologies.
- Experience with materials having radioactive, toxic, pyrophoric, explosive, and/or other hazardous characteristics.
- For consideration, please submit a comprehensive resume that outlines how you meet the minimum and desired skills noted above. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite with limited work from home opportunities.
- Position requires the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated prior to the start of employment
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 1 year .
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2 . Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances.Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances.See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing. Although New Mexico and other states have legalized the use of marijuana, use and possession of marijuana remain illegal under federal law. A positive drug test for marijuana will result in termination of employment, even if the use was pre-offer.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Employment Status Full Time
Appointment Type Regular
Los Alamos, NM
Continue the Mission with Los Alamos National Laboratory, one of the world’s most innovative multidisciplinary research institutions. We focus on strategic science initiatives to uphold national security and ensure the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile along with other defense and research-oriented programs.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is a natural fit and next career for veterans and transitioning personnel from all branches of the military. You don’t need to be a scientist or engineer to work with us; we offer a vast array of career opportunities and need veterans’ unique and technical skillsets as we continue to grow. Hands-on and continuing education will equip you for your next mission.