Senior/ Specialist Manufacturing Engineers (1st & 2nd Shift) - Military Veterans
at Aerojet Rocketdyne
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader that provides propulsion systems and energetics to space and defense customers. Our Canoga Park, California facility near Los Angeles is the company's Space headquarters and specializes in the design, fabrication, assembly and testing of hardware for liquid rocket engines that support exploration missions as well as the defense of our nation and allies. Currently, employees are building the RS-25 engine for NASA's Space Launch System that will take the first female and person of color to the moon and eventually Mars. Additional programs include propulsion systems for Lockheed Martin's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) program, unique power systems that will power Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser Spacecraft and the Mars Perseverance Rover. Visit www.rocket.com for more information on you can Power the Future with Aerojet Rocketdyne.
We are looking for experienced Manufacturing Engineers to work either 1st Shift (6am - 3:30pm) or 2nd shift (3pm - 12:30am) at our Los Angeles, California Space HQ campus.
Generous relocation benefits available.
What we can offer you:
- Most Trusted Company in the A&D Industry - We didn't apply for this honor, but Aerojet Rocketdyne is proud to be recognized as America's #1 Most Trusted Aerospace & Defense Company by Newsweek
- Inspiring Company Culture - Our people support each other and work together to leave an indelible impact on our nation's aerospace and defense legacy. Read more about our culture: Careers | Aerojet Rocketdyne
- Work / Life Balance - Accrue 3 weeks of vacation to start plus separate sick allowance. 9/80 schedule providing for longer weekends. Annual week-long holiday company closure, plus company paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision, Health Savings Accounts, and Wellness
- Prepare for the Future - 401(k) with company match, Employee Stock Ownership program
- Professional Development - Tuition assistance program, Employee recognition program, and Leadership development program
- Employee Resource Groups - Local and Enterprise employee-led volunteer groups to create community, awareness, impact, and to support a culture where everyone belongs.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
This position will be responsible for mechanical component manufacture, assembly and integration into rocket engine and power systems products. Responsibilities include designing and planning of layout component fabrication, assembly and material handling, planning of sequence of operations, and specification procedures. The scope of responsibility will be for several mechanical components or as a process engineer supporting new and developing process that could be utilized on all programs within AR, with the potential to acquire greater responsibility as performance and experience dictate.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include supporting the following:
30% - Developing and Implementing Manufacturing Fabrication and Assembly Processes and Systems. The candidate will assist to develop and implement the process of precision turning operation of complex configurations on a wide range of material types which will include the following:
- Determining tooling requirements to safely facilitate optimum positioning of surfaces for machining, cleaning, packaging and protection for the milling process, support and maintain dimensional requirements, determine machine loading, setups, hardware handling instructions and scheduling.
- Perform risk assessments to ensure risks to personal and environment is eliminated and risk to hardware and facility is accurately assess and communicated to management.
- Determine clean and etching process for a wide variety of materials.
- Support design reviews - CDR, CoDR PDR.
- 20% - Managing Projects: Assist in managing processes in accordance with the ACE methodology which will include process certification, process improvement methods (e.g. Kaizen, 3P, VSM, etc.) and other Bluebook elements. They will also prepare Basis of Estimates (BOE), develop and defend to management key strategic manufacturing plans, risk assessments and proposals that target customer and business goals; and differentiate between suppliers based on their technical process (Repeatability, Reliability) and business (Reliability, Rates, CSP, ISO compliant) capability.
15% - Determining Tight Tolerance Machining: Determine complex design geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) for various machining and measuring methods that meet specifications, tooling and equipment requirements.
15% - Develop/Design Support Hardware and Review Engineering Drawings: Utilize design and business software (ProE, CATIA, VisMockup, and/or other similar CAD/virtual manufacturing tools/software, MS Office applications such as Word, Excel) to develop, design, review and fabricate hardware in support of the Operation and enabling support processes, and Engineering customer.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Manufacturing/Industrial Technology/Engineering and at least five (5) years' related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Personal skills continuously utilized to execute responsibilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including public speaking.
- Organizational/Multi-tasking skills that enhance value stream flow and ensure product value streams are effective at meeting customer and company goals.
- Team building skills - develop relationships across value stream and enabling department resources to effectively manage product value stream.
- Candidate must be able to thrive in a team environment, work independently, and embrace continuous improvement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. May also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization. Depending on the location of the position, visual certification requirement may apply.
Pay range for this position:100,000 - 147,333 per year Note about pay range:Pay range for this job level is a general guideline only for California and/or Washington State and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader providing propulsion and energetics to its space, missile defense, strategic systems, tactical missile and armaments customers throughout domestic and international markets. Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings, Inc. is a leading technology-based manufacturer of aerospace and defense products and systems with a real estate segment that includes activities related to the entitlement, sale, and leasing of the company's excess real estate assets. At Aerojet Rocketdyne, we work on projects that are substantial enough to be challenging, yet focused in objective, so your individual contribution is never lost in the process. We stress a strong ethical workplace, both in relation to the work we do and the sense of fairness that is extended to all employees, regardless of background. We believe that a primary reason for Aerojet Rocketdyne's success is our focus on honesty, safety, respect for others, quality and accountability. These priorities are the framework for everything we do at Aerojet Rocketdyne and allow us to continue to produce the quality products and technologies for which we are known. Additional information about Aerojet Rocketdyne and Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings, Inc. can be obtained by visiting the companies' websites at www.rocket.com and at www.aerojetrocketdyne.com.