Research Coordinator III - Academic Offices of Clinic Trials - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Research Coordinator III position is responsible for coordinating the drive on multiple clinical research projects and/or for multiple Principal Investigators (PI), gathering patient data via methods specified in the study protocol and providing general administrative duties in support of the study. The Research Coordinator III position evaluates results of (or response to) process; summarizes data; may provide guidance to other level coordinators.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Assists with training all clinical research personnel regarding enrollment/recruitment protocols and processes, identifying and clinical research subjects; monitors enrollment goals and modifies recruitment strategies, as necessary. (EF)
- Precepts new clinical research staff and educates staff regarding scientific aspects of studies. Serves as a resource for the clinical research staff. (EF)
- Role models excellent, clear and professional communication skills to achieve mutual understanding and problem resolution. Demonstrates a positive work environment and contributes to a team-focused work environment that actively helps one another achieve department goals. Collaborates with all members of the research team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent information as it relates to assigned system(s) in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Participates in the Principal Investigator (PI) meetings and in-service nurses and physicians. (EF)
- Organizes and participates in pre-site and site initiation visits. (EF))
- Completes initial patient assessments, per competence, utilizing interview, observation and examination; obtains vital signs and performs phlebotomy; teaches proper procedures to research coordinator and research coordinator assistant. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Oversees and maintains accurate source documentation and appropriate forms as per protocol including participant records, drug documentation, reconciling study drug/device accountability; monitors documentation for quality and accuracy. (EF)
- Leads and conducts reviews on on-going studies and oversees quality assurance on ongoing protocols; productive working relationship with study monitor. (EF)
- Assists in processing and shipping lab specimens efficiently and cost effectively; maintains supply inventory and equipment; ensures return of test article/clinical supplies; maintains regulatory standards. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Assists in budget development and CMS coverage analysis and study billing management. (EF)
- Researches best cost/quality options for supply orders and is a good financial steward of Houston Methodist’s resources and considers this for such orders. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Plans and designs source documentation for protocol. Develops study specific forms or tools per protocol to use in clinical research and teaches research team how to use the assessment tool. (EF)
- Develops and conducts procedures for laboratory collection and storage. (EF)
- Proactively manages own professional development and completes My Development Plan. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree
o Master’s degree preferred
o Five years of clinical research-related experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certified Clinical Research Coordinator (CCRC) or Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Ability to work independently
o Capable of handling challenging/difficult situations
o Demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average analytical skills
o Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the
healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors,
physicians and co-workers
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work
flow and actively participating in problem-solving
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Patient care unit conditions,
Universal precautions required, significant potential for exposure to latex_ ________________________
Houston Methodist Academic Institute was formed to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The Research Institute was created in 2004 to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000-square-foot building dedicated to research and clinical trials, the Academic Institute houses over 2,110 credentialed researchers conducting 1,387 ongoing clinical protocols.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw