Research Tec 5 - Military Veterans
at Los Alamos National Laboratory
Job Title Research Tec 5
Location Los Alamos, NM, US
Organization Name AMPP-4/Materials Recovery And Recycle
Minimum Salary 81700
Maximum Salary 133100
What You Will Do
Join the best and brightest minds in the world at one of the most innovative and creative multidisciplinary research institutions engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. The work we do at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) matters to our country and the world.
This role works in a team environment within LANL's nuclear facility to manufacture product, support material movement and support glove box operations. The majority of daily work is "hands-on" glove box work in support of plutonium processing. Processes at Los Alamos National Lab are performed using detailed operating procedures and work requires extensive knowledge and expertise following Conduct of Operations, nuclear criticality safety, material control and accountability, radiological safety, and environmental compliance requirements.
You will work at the advanced level and have fundamental technical skills and knowledge. You will work under general direction with fundamental understanding of the general and technical aspects of the job. You may work under general supervision in areas involving high consequences for safety. You will follow Standard Operating Procedures and/or Work Instructions to produce a quality product. This position requires knowledge of Conduct of Operations, nuclear criticality safety, radiological safety, material control and accountability and environmental compliance requirements.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform chemical processing; materials science; material processing; leak testing; assembly; mechanical operations, special nuclear material operations; or electronics tasks.
- Work with minimal supervision with specific and detailed instruction, and within established procedures, processes, requirements or specifications to perform work on a well-defined task/project.
- Write and maintain records, write concise progress reports and interact frequently with support organizations.
- Safely handle radioactive materials and chemicals in glove boxes; perform glove box bag outs and glove changes in a respirator; follow Detailed Operating Procedures and follow formality of operations for conducting work in a Nuclear Facility; protect nuclear materials and classified information in a secure environment; perform transactions on the LANMAS computer system and conduct activities in accordance with environmental regulations.
- Maintain required safety and security training, ensure compliance with safety and security requirements, and make safety and security an integral part of every task.
- Provide technical process and operational support, including nuclear criticality safety, material control and accountability, glovebox maintenance, radiological protection and waste minimization and management.
- Prepare samples and reagents for analysis and execute experiments for the separation and purification of actinide materials.
- Conduct waste packaging, labeling, documentation, staging and shipment in accordance with environmental regulations and Laboratory policies and procedures.
- Be available to work in the Plutonium Facility.
- Provide mentorship, training, and oversight for new technicians.
- Operate, maintain, and oversee repairs to equipment.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Mechanical Systems & Tools:
Advanced experience in one or more of the following:
- Technical work, such as chemical synthesis; chemical, biological, radiological materials handling and processing; analytical procedures and methodology; radioactive materials characterization or testing; optical and laser systems; data acquisition systems; cryogenics; vacuum systems; pressure systems; fiber optics; electronic imaging; solid-state electronic design and assembly; mechanical systems; etc.
- Specialized training and knowledge for working in hazardous environments such as those involving, radiological or fissile materials, accelerators, lasers, pulse power or high energy systems, etc.
- Test and design, such as reading drawings and schematics, using digital test equipment, data analysis, electromagnetic shielding, high-speed data acquisition systems and software, ultrafast timing techniques, etc.
Ability to work effectively, conscientiously, ethically, and professionally in a high-performance team environment that exhibits collaborative behavior. Contribute to the development of new procedures and protocols.
Demonstrated experience interacting and communicating both written and orally.
Ability to proactively work to assist others in achieving the organizations objectives. Ability to communicate findings and make recommendations. Effectively communicate with support organizations to achieve goals.
Possess high attention to detail including strong organizational skills, analytical thinking, observation skills and problem-solving skills. Proven ability to work in a dynamic environment and adjust to changes. May be responsible for facility operations to include scheduling, maintenance, etc.
Expert-level knowledge and implementation of required safety practices for work assignments.
Ability to follow safeguards & security procedures in accordance with the Laboratory's Integrated Safety and Security Management (ISSM) practices utilizing guidelines, training and procedures.
Demonstrated senior level ability to work independently with both written and verbal instructions, procedures, plans and Laboratory requirements. Ability to perform complex tasks independently in a related technical specialty and exercise independent judgment. Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership and professional mentorship to peers.
Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of computer systems and applications (Word/Excel/PowerPoint).
- Ability to pass and maintain required training.
- In depth understanding of Formality of Operations.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain all required certifications and training related to work within Plutonium Facility.
- Demonstrated experience mentoring entry level technicians.
Education and Experience:
Position requires an Associate's Degree and 7 years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation.
DOE Order 426.2: Requires a High School Diploma.
- Formal training or experience machining a variety of materials with lathes, mills, drill presses, and saws, and other industrial apparatus.
- Experience working with radioactive and other hazardous materials.
- Expert understanding of in-process inspection techniques and technologies.
- Knowledge in computers, computer programming, and / or software applications used in R&D job function.
- Active DOE Q Clearance.
- Active HRP certification.
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 2 years.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paidchildbirth and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (PTO and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2 . Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance:Q/SCI (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances.Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances.See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
HRP: This position is subject to the requirements of the DOE Human Reliability Program as specified in 10 Code of Federal Regulation, Part 712, §712.11. These requirements include on going drug and alcohol testing, as well as periodic medical and psychological evaluations.
426.2: This position is subject to DOE Order 426.2, Personnel Selection, Training, and Qualification Requirements for DOE Nuclear Facilities, which establishes entry-level requirements to ensure candidates selected for specific positions can successfully perform the requirements of the job.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing. Although New Mexico and other states have legalized the use of marijuana, use and possession of marijuana remain illegal under federal law. A positive drug test for marijuana will result in termination of employment, even if the use was pre-offer.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Employment Status Full Time
Appointment Type Regular
Los Alamos, NM
Continue the Mission with Los Alamos National Laboratory, one of the world’s most innovative multidisciplinary research institutions. We focus on strategic science initiatives to uphold national security and ensure the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile along with other defense and research-oriented programs.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is a natural fit and next career for veterans and transitioning personnel from all branches of the military. You don’t need to be a scientist or engineer to work with us; we offer a vast array of career opportunities and need veterans’ unique and technical skillsets as we continue to grow. Hands-on and continuing education will equip you for your next mission.