Labware LIMS Developer (Scientist 1/2) - Military Veterans
at Los Alamos National Laboratory
Job Title Labware LIMS Developer (Scientist 1/2)
Location Los Alamos, NM, US
Organization Name C-AAC/Actinide Analytical Chemistry
What You Will Do
As a Labware Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Developer for C-AAC, the successful candidate(s) will work with SMEs to develop both hardware and software solutions in support of analytical chemistry operations across several nuclear facilities. Supports software applications and systems by investigating, designing, documenting, and implementing software solutions. Works with the LIMS team lead; other developers; project and program managers; and end users to understand needs and develop solutions. Develops concepts for information system solutions and evaluates the cost effectiveness of those concepts. Works collaboratively as part of a team, providing leadership and mentorship for others. Fosters strong relationships with customers, peers, and service providers. Identifies and addresses productivity impediments and promotes work process improvements.
Scientist 1 ($90,000 - $147,100)
- Ability to regularly learn and adapt new concepts and methods for the evolution and continuous improvement of processes developed in a LIMS system.
- Provides advanced technical support services; designs, specifies, and develops solutions for complex computing infrastructure to support analytical chemistry teams.
- Assists with the research, design, testing, analysis, verification, and validation of engineering and technology solutions in support of analytical capabilities.
- Develops a technical approach, using judgment within defined practices and procedures, and makes technical decisions, which include conceptualizing and designing technical alternatives for the work assigned.
- Designs, develops, tests, and validates LabWare coding and configuration to meet user's needs and functional requirements defined in the scope of a project.
- Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with team specific projects. Will directly contribute to the achievement of programmatic objectives
- Configures and develops LabWare LIMS in accordance with software quality assurance and regulatory requirements.
- Use independent judgement for determining course of action to accomplish objectives.
In addition to what was outlined at the lower level, the upper level Labware LIMS Developer serves as a primary interface with technical, group management, and project management representatives. It is also expected that individuals at this level would:
- Operate with greater autonomy and develop solutions of greater complexity.
- Independently, they can readily identify and assess risks for which they can design and develop processes for improvement or correction.
- Understand the quality assurance requirements necessary for performing audits both internally and externally.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Scientist 1 Required Skills (skills necessary to do the job)
- LabWare LIMS/ELN development and configuration experience, or other database knowledge is preferable.
- Coding experience.
- Able to learn and improve knowledge base and apply it in troubleshooting on various LIMS elements with the team.
- Able to methodically document and keep records for traceable quality purposes.
- Knowledge of and experience designing, planning, and/or executing research and development projects.
- Demonstrated experience working in a team environment and exhibiting collaborative behavior.
- Experience working well in a team environment as well as working independently
- Experience in a SQL Server environment writing SQL Queries
- Experience in all phases of Software Development Lifecycles, requirements analysis, design, planning, development, testing, documenting and deployment of applications.
- Provide customer service, including working with customers to resolve issues
- Troubleshoot issues through field or customer support
- Communicating technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Excellent collaboration and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in troubleshooting of complex functions within the LIMS software and database platform.
- Experience in creating a database and installation of LabWare LIMS software, including its' maintenance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in automating instrument to LIMS communication links for laboratory operations including troubleshooting.
- Promotes the benefit of Knowledge Sharing (best practices) whenever possible
- Accountable for identifying and managing continual improvement opportunities
- Supporting the ongoing development and maintenance of LabWare LIMS system
- Assist with oversight or audits of the LabWare LIMS application for the group
- Experience developing and providing software user training to end users.
- Ability to multi-task various projects and tasks with tight deliverables.
- Knowledge of and experience working with software quality assurance programs
Scientist 1: Position requires a bachelor's degree in a STEM or other science field and 2 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation .
Scientist 2 : Position requires a Bachelor's Degree in STEM or other science field and 4 years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation . Greater than 2 years' experience in LabWare LIMS including at a minimum completion of LabWare LIMS Admin 1 training. Attendance and acquisition of other LabWare LIMS training or greater than 3-year experience in LabWare based configuration development.
- Background or experience in Analytical Chemistry or other highly regulated laboratory environment
- Background knowledge or experience with databases
- Some background or experience in coding methodologies such as SQL, BASIC and HTML
- Some experience with Batch, PowerShell scripting
- Distinguished background in Labware LIMS development
- Experience integrating lab instruments with Labware
- Familiarity with agile/scrum methodologies
- Active Q clearance
- For full consideration, please submit a comprehensive resume and cover letter reflective of your relevant experience to the job requirements and desired skills stated above
- Evaluation of applicants will commence immediately
Physical Job Requirements: Standing, use of both hands and arms, fine motor control
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 1 year .
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paidchildbirth and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (PTO and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2 . Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance:Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances.Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances.See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
426.2: This position is subject to DOE Order 426.2, Personnel Selection, Training, and Qualification Requirements for DOE Nuclear Facilities, which establishes entry-level requirements to ensure candidates selected for specific positions can successfully perform the requirements of the job.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing. Although New Mexico and other states have legalized the use of marijuana, use and possession of marijuana remain illegal under federal law. A positive drug test for marijuana will result in termination of employment, even if the use was pre-offer.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Employment Status Full Time
Appointment Type Regular
Los Alamos, NM
Continue the Mission with Los Alamos National Laboratory, one of the world’s most innovative multidisciplinary research institutions. We focus on strategic science initiatives to uphold national security and ensure the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile along with other defense and research-oriented programs.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is a natural fit and next career for veterans and transitioning personnel from all branches of the military. You don’t need to be a scientist or engineer to work with us; we offer a vast array of career opportunities and need veterans’ unique and technical skillsets as we continue to grow. Hands-on and continuing education will equip you for your next mission.