Surgical Technologist(CST) - Cardiovascular -ORServices - Walter Tower 3- Full Time - Days - $5K Sign- On and Referral Bonus - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Technologist position requires novice to competent knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Technologist position, under the direction of the surgeon, assists the surgeon and/or surgical assistant during the operative procedure by carrying out tasks including but not limited to sponging, suctioning, cutting suture, and holding retractors. This position provides general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel. The Surgical Technologist position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices, relationship-centered care in concert with the Houston Methodist values.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Establishes a working relationship with all members of the operating room team and interprofessional health care team, based on trust, honesty, confidence and respect to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Contributes to a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. (EF)
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Assists in prepping room, equipment and supplies to accommodate planned procedures. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures that the set-up is ready before surgeon scrubs. (EF)
- Supports the surgeon during surgical procedures, performing the surgical tech role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to, as appropriate: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures. (EF)
- Assists the circulating RN with sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts. (EF)
- Accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Prepares the operating room for surgical procedures, ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgical procedure. (EF)
- Maintains the sterile field for surgical procedures by preparing sterile supplies, instruments, and equipment using sterile technique. (EF)
- Reports observed variances in practices, established hospital and department policies, procedures, and standards to department management, reporting near misses. (EF)
- Contributes towards meeting hospital and department quality and safety targets, through peer-to-peer accountability, and collaborating with the interprofessional health care team. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery does not waste supplies. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Participates in department projects and shared governance activities. (EF)
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond novice competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the My Development plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) or the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Demonstrates knowledge and appropriate use of hospital database such as EPIC. Ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system
o Demonstrates understanding of medical terminology.
o Knowledge of surgical procedures, case progression, pertinent observations, and possible complications
o Demonstrates knowledge and competent use of procedure equipment and instruments sets and use of various surgical instruments
o Demonstrates knowledge of surgical supplies, use of and restocking of supplies
o Demonstrates appropriate skills of sterile technique
o Demonstrates competency in decontamination and use of autoclave equipment
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept. approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw