Sr RP ALARA Specialist (Ginna NPP - Ontario, NY) - Military Veterans
at Constellation Energy
DescriptionAs the nation's largest producer of clean, carbon-free energy, Constellation is a company purpose-built to meet the challenges of the climate crisis. Constellation has been the leader in clean energy production for more than a decade. Now, we're accelerating, speeding our low-carbon or no-carbon power to more people in more places, day and night, providing our customers and communities with options to buy, manage and use energy as part of their decarbonization mission. The race is on to confront the climate crisis and Constellation is ready to meet the challenge.
Constellation has been the leader in carbon-free energy production for more than a decade, and generates 50% more clean, carbon-free electricity than any other company in America. We're generating power 24/7 with the nation's largest emission-free nuclear energy fleet, providing enough clean energy to power 15 million homes. Constellation offers customers a range of clean, zero-carbon energy solutions to help reduce their carbon footprint and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion and believe in attracting, retaining and advancing employees who will best serve and represent our customers, partners and communities. We provide a workplace that ensures mutual respect, where each individual has the opportunity to grow and contribute at their greatest potential. Constellation will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and power a successful career.
Constellation offers a wide range of benefits, designed to help our employees thrive professionally and personally. In addition to highly competitive salaries, we offer a bonus program, 401(k) with company match, employee stock purchase program; comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits, including a robust wellness program; paid time off for vacation, holidays and sick days; and much more.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Responsible for leadership in implementing the station ALARA program including: Long term exposure reduction strategies, Outage Planning, Shielding and technology implementation evaluations and installation, source term removal and mitigation, processes and procedures required to implement effective ALARA controls, and the metrics associated with monitoring an ALARA program. This position has the capabilities of applying leadership and strategic focus to all facets of the ALARA program including performing and presenting business cases for program / site needed in CRE reduction.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Preparing and implementing ALARA planning, estimating, work group involvement and procedure implementation in accordance with Exelon procedure guidance for exposure reduction. (25%)
- Performance of assessments, corrective actions, benchmarking, and job evaluations with regards to ALARA processes and practices. Implement fleet and industry best practices. (25%)
- Perform independent, specific rolls such as outage planning, modification team leads, on-line planning, or other duties integral to the Radiation Protection ALARA program. (20%)
- Mentor and aid in the development of other RP personnel, site personnel, and contractors to insure that industry knowledge and Radiation Protection standards are transferred and embraced. (20%)
- Incorporate the fleet fundamentals into all work evolutions and actively coach and teach station personnel to maintain continual improvement (10%)
- Will have budget accountability for projects, PRC/PHC presentations.
- Will have accountability to communicate with customers in determining best plans for exposure reduction
- Must independently assess and make field technical decisions with regards to job performance, assessments of conditions, and communication with all levels of management.
- Will utilize knowledge to strategically assess corrective actions to improve exposure reduction, contamination reduction and work efficiency.
- Must be able to perform public speaking, training classes, interface with regulators and engage the RP technicians. Ability to coach and perform critical observations.
- BS degree in health physics or related science degree with 3 years professional experience in radiation protection or Associate Degree in health physics or related science degree and 5 years of experience in radiation protection (three years must be exempt-level professional experience in radiation protection) or High School Diploma and 7 years of experience in radiation protection (five years must be exempt-level professional experience in radiation protection)
- Demonstrated communications ability both written and oral
- In depth knowledge of plant systems and operations
- Successfully completed NRRPT or the CHP certifications
Constellation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
We are the nation’s largest producer of carbon-free energy and the leading competitive retail supplier of power and energy products and services for homes and businesses across the United States. Headquartered in Baltimore, our generation fleet powers more than 20 million homes and is helping to accelerate the nation’s transition to clean energy with more than 32,400 megawatts of capacity and annual output that is 90 percent carbon-free.
Already the lowest carbon emitter of any major investor-owned U.S. generator, we have set a goal to eliminate 100 percent of our greenhouse gas emissions by leveraging innovative technology and enhancing our diverse mix of hydro, wind and solar resources, paired with the nation’s largest carbon-free nuclear fleet.
Our family of retail businesses serves approximately 2 million residential, public sector and business customers, including three-fourths of the Fortune 100. We are helping these customers reach their own climate goals through innovative clean energy solutions, including an upcoming, new 24/7 carbon-free energy matching product.
To further advance the fight against the climate crisis and accelerate the transition to a carbon-free future, we have set own ambitious climate goals, including:
- 95% carbon-free electricity by 2030
- 100% carbon-free electricity by 2040
- 100% reduction of operations-driven emissions by 2040
- Providing 100 percent of our business customers with customized data to help them reduce their own carbon footprints.
As we work towards these goals, we will continue to serve as a leading supporter of our communities through workforce development programs; philanthropy; volunteerism; and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives; while maintaining the highest standards of corporate governance.