Staff Pharmacist - Evenings - PRN - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Staff Pharmacist position is responsible for providing day-to-day comprehensive, patient oriented, pharmacy services in any or all areas of the department. This includes processing orders, therapy review, and education to patients and other members of the direct patient care team. This position collaborates with other health care professionals to manage patients’ drug therapies for effectiveness and overall safety. The Staff Pharmacist contributes to the fulfillment of the department’s mission by collaborating to provide innovative, personalized, cost effective pharmaceutical care in a culture dedicated to quality and safety. This position is also responsible for the oversight of pharmacy technicians and students and may serve as a preceptor, ensuring the accurate and timely delivery of pharmaceuticals.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Guides and mentors pharmacy technicians and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities. In the absence of Senior Staff Pharmacists or other higher level, serves as a coordinator for the shift overseeing and leading activities of technicians and other support staff.
SERVICE - 35%
- Processes all orders/requests accurately and efficiently, verifying appropriateness of all drugs in reference to the patient’s diagnosis, allergies, height and weight. (EF)
- Monitors workload fluctuations and work output of pharmacy technician(s), adjusting assignments as appropriate to ensure accurate and timely delivery of medications to patient care areas. (EF)
- Conducts proactive drug therapy reviews and monitoring, providing drug information, patient counseling, and management of pharmacist based dosing protocols, collaborating with other health care staff for problem resolution for the achievement of patient specific goals. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
- Collaborates with other health care professionals to manage patient’s drug therapy for effectiveness, side effects, adverse drug reactions, toxicities, drug interactions, and incompatibilities following guidelines for formulary management and clinical intervention tools in the achievement of patient specific goals. Documents patient care activities and patient outcomes as impacted by pharmaceutical care and clinical interventions. (EF)
- Participates in departmental quality management activities, i.e. medication use evaluations, adverse drug reactions and medication error reporting, clinical interventions, medication center reviews, and inventory management documentation and reporting.
FINANCE - 5%
- Manages inventory to minimize waste and expired drugs in the work area as well as uses one’s resources effectively and efficiently. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
- Participates in inter- and intra-departmental activities including in-services, article publication/presentation, preceptorship, and additional training. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Staff Pharmacist.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section
o Zero experience; some experience applicable to the specific work setting (e.g., hospital, specialty pharmacy) highly preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Pharmacist License or eligible for Texas Pharmacist License; must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification within 90 days of employment
o Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification and training within 90 days of employment as determined by entity need (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Texas Pharmacist Preceptor Certification within 15 months of entry into this role
o Sterile Compounding and Aseptic Technique (SCAT) and horizontal and/or vertical use Certification within 90 days of employment (*If verifying and/or preparing any sterile product- See manager for details and tracking certification information)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers; capable of assuming responsibility for coordinating the activities of a major pharmacy service area
o Knowledge and skills in comprehensive pharmacy services including unit-dose drug distribution, intravenous admixture preparation, nutrition support services, and target drug monitoring
o Demonstrates the knowledge of basic principles regarding rational drug therapy, including but not limited to, professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation,
utilization, and distribution of drugs and drug information and apply these to all patient groups, neonate to geriatric
o Computer skills to include proficiency in MS Office and EMR software
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: All pharmacy staff are required to be trained on the risks and safe handling of hazardous drugs; and confirm in writing an understanding of the potential reproductive risks associated with handling hazardous drugs
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital tied for No. 5 in Houston and No. 9 (four-way tie) in Texas in U.S. News & World Report’s best hospital rankings in 2022. With 324 operating beds, 23 operating rooms and more than 2,400 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw