Early Childhood Educator - Cyert Center for Early Education - Military Veterans
at Carnegie Mellon University
We are growing!
The Cyert Center was founded in 1971 by working parents at Carnegie Mellon University, for working parents. The Cyert Center currently serves 180 children in two locations, with future expansion plans. The Cyert Center is a community committed to the highest quality care and education for children ages infant through kindergarten. We believe that all children are thinkers, researchers, and problem solvers. Our program revolves around valuing the development of relationships, open dialogue, and collaboration, which we believe supports the development of strong relationships between all members of the community—children, parents, and educators and the communities beyond these walls. Hallmarks of our philosophy include negotiated curriculum, social constructivism, and the rich use of materials for self-expression and exploration.
The Early Childhood Educator will demonstrate a passion for early childhood education and love of learning; ability to collaborate with other early childhood educators and accept feedback; respect for children and families and ability to show authenticity in all relationships; high energy level; ability to be creative, flexible, and enthusiastic; effective interpersonal skills necessary to work with young children, parents/guardians, other staff, and the campus community. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Benefits as a CMU Staff Member:
The Cyert Center for Early Education is a vital part of Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). As a CMU staff member, you have access to many of the university’s resources and benefits programs. This includes offerings to support health and wellness, financial and other needs. CMU offers options for medical, prescription, vision, and dental plans. You will have access to many financial benefits like retirement savings, spending accounts, tuition benefits, family care benefits, free Port Authority usage, university discounts, and athletics facilities. Lastly, you will be granted a generous time away from work package which includes PTO, holidays, and floating holidays.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Child Education and Care - Along with the educational team, educates and cares for young children, fostering their individual growth and development
- Program Development and Curriculum Delivery - Organizes a cohesive program and communicates the Center’s philosophy (Reggio Emilia Approach and Developmentally Appropriate Practice)
- Team Building and Collaboration - Values collaboration and teamwork to co-create a curriculum that uses inquiry-based teaching strategies with an emphasis on collaborative learning
- Compliance and Safety - Adheres to The Department of Human Services licensing regulations and The National Association for the Education of Young Children’s accreditation standards.
- Family Engagement - Develops regular, ongoing, two-way communication with parents about children’s experiences, development, and learning, and participates in planning, organization and dialogue/presentation for parent meetings.
- Professional Development - Commits to best practices and continued professional development and growth, earning twenty-four (24) hours of required professional development annually.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Cyert Center for Early Education. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Psychology, Elementary Education, Special Education, or related field OR
- A bachelor’s degree, including 30 credit hours in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education, or related field and 1 year of experience with children OR
- An associate’s degree in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education or the human services field and 2 years of experience with children OR
- An associate’s degree, including 30 credit hours in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education or the human services field and 3 years of experience with children
- Full range of body motion needed and change positions/ have the mobility to interact with young children
- Must be able to provide supervision and monitor safety through both sight and sound in the classroom and on the playground, without breaks in consciousness
- Must be able to lift and carry children up to 40 pounds, as well as, move light furniture and play materials, and push a group stroller carrying 4-6 infants and toddlers
- Must be able to stand for long periods and sit on the floor
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam (including TB test) for clearance to meet the physical requirements listed above
- Successful Background Checks
- Child Protective Clearances for PA and all states lived in prior five years
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
Do you know someone who would be a great addition to our team? Referrals welcome!
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university’s current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Job FunctionCyert Center and Children's School
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance
Carnegie Mellon University founder Andrew Carnegie said: "My heart is in the work." No statement better captures the passion and drive of our people to make a real difference. At Carnegie Mellon, we're not afraid of the work. Our educational environment creates problem solvers, drivers of innovation and pioneers in technology and the arts. Employers in every field say our graduates are ready to hit the ground running the day they graduate. So, join us. Whether you're looking for a career or an education. Or both.