Assistant Early Childhood Educator - Cyert Center for Early Education - Military Veterans
at Carnegie Mellon University
We are growing!
The Cyert Center was founded in 1971 by working parents at Carnegie Mellon University, for working parents. The Cyert Center now serves 180 children in two locations, with future expansion plans. The Cyert Center is a community committed to the highest quality care and education for children ages infant through kindergarten. We believe that all children are thinkers, researchers, and problem solvers. Our program revolves around valuing the development of relationships, open dialogue, and collaboration, which we believe supports the development of strong relationships between all members of this community—children, parents, and educators and the communities beyond these walls. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
The Assistant Early Childhood Educator has a passion for early childhood education, demonstrates commitment to Developmentally Appropriate Practice, and upholds the NAEYC code of ethics. The position is responsible for supporting the classroom educators to provide a nurturing, consistent, developmentally appropriate environment that meets the cognitive, emotional, social, and physical needs of children. The Assistant Early Childhood Educator develops and maintains parent relationships, and supports the work of the educational team. This position reports to the Educational Coordinator of the assigned classroom.
Benefits of being a CMU Staff Member:
The Cyert Center for Early Education is a vital part of Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). As a CMU staff member, you have access to many of the university’s resources and benefits programs. This includes offerings to support health and wellness, financial and other needs. CMU offers options for medical, prescription, vision, and dental plans. You will have access to many financial benefits like retirement savings, spending accounts, tuition benefits, family care benefits, free Port Authority usage, university discounts, and athletics facilities. Lastly, you will be granted a generous time away from work package which includes PTO, holidays, and floating holidays.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Child Education and Care - Along with the educational team, educates and cares for young children, fostering their individual growth and development
- Program Development and Curriculum Delivery - Supports the process of organizing a cohesive program and embodies the Center’s philosophy (Reggio Emilia Approach and Developmentally Appropriate Practice)
- Team Building and Collaboration - Values collaboration and teamwork to co-create a curriculum that uses inquiry-based teaching strategies with an emphasis on collaborative learning
- Compliance and Safety - Adheres to The Department of Human Services licensing regulations and The National Association for the Education of Young Children’s accreditation standards.
- Family Engagement - Supports the team’s efforts in developing regular, on-going, two-way communication with parents about children’s experiences, development, and learning.
- Professional Development - Commits to best practices and continued professional development and growth, earning twenty-four (24) hours of required professional development annually.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Cyert Center for Early Education. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A high school diploma or a general educational development certificate and 30 credit hours from an accredited college or university in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education or the human services field OR
- A high school diploma or a general educational development certificate, including 600 or more hours of secondary training (relating to age and training) OR
- A high school diploma or a general educational development certificate, 15 credit hours from an accredited college or university in early childhood education, child development, special education, elementary education or the human services field and 1 year of experience with children OR
- A high school diploma or a general education development certificate and completion of a post-secondary training curriculum OR
- A high school diploma or a general educational development certificate and 2 years experience with children
- Full range of body motion needed and change positions/ have the mobility to interact with young children
- Must be able to provide supervision and monitor safety through both sight and sound in the classroom and on the playground, without breaks in consciousness
- Must be able to lift and carry children up to 40 pounds, as well as, move light furniture and play materials, and push a group stroller carrying 4-6 infants and toddlers
- Must be able to stand for long periods and sit on the floor
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam (including TB test) for clearance to meet the physical requirements listed above
- Successful Background Checks
- Child Protective Clearances for PA and all states lived in prior five years
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity!? Apply today!
Do you know someone who would be a great addition to our team? Referrals welcome!
Job FunctionCyert Center and Children's School
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance
Carnegie Mellon University founder Andrew Carnegie said: "My heart is in the work." No statement better captures the passion and drive of our people to make a real difference. At Carnegie Mellon, we're not afraid of the work. Our educational environment creates problem solvers, drivers of innovation and pioneers in technology and the arts. Employers in every field say our graduates are ready to hit the ground running the day they graduate. So, join us. Whether you're looking for a career or an education. Or both.