Pharmacy Clinical Specialist - PRN - Days - Internal Medicine - Military Veterans
at Houston Methodist
At Houston Methodist, the Pharmacy Clinical Specialist is responsible for performing advanced clinical pharmacy duties enabling the delivery of optimal pharmacotherapy to patients and facilitating safe, efficacious, and pharmacoeconomically rational use of medications in the population(s) served. This involves daily reactive and targeted proactive medication regimen reviews for patients within the designated area(s) of responsibility or populations served. The Pharmacy Clinical Specialist supports the delivery of pharmacy managed protocols, formulary processes and medication reconciliation activities while providing education to fellow pharmacists, nurses, medical staff. Additional duties include precepting pharmacy students and pharmacy residents on clinical patient care rotations within areas of responsibility and contributing to fulfilling the organization’s mission to provide innovative, personalized, cost-effective pharmaceutical care in a culture dedicated to quality and safety.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
- Serves as a rotation preceptor for students from affiliated colleges of pharmacy and PGY1 or PGY2 pharmacy residents as well as being a mentor for staff pharmacists supporting clinical skill advancement. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Processes all orders/requests accurately and efficiently, verifying appropriateness of all drugs in reference to the patient’s diagnosis, allergies, height and weight. Exercises good judgment in patient care decisions per performance standard and documents patient care activities and patient outcomes impacted by pharmaceutical care and clinical interventions. (EF)
- Provides patient-specific and non-patient specific drug information support regularly. (EF)
- Serves as a member on one or more Medical Staff Committees and actively contributes to accomplishing the goals of the committee. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 40%
- Collaborates with other health care professionals to manage patient’s drug therapy for maximal effectiveness while minimizing side effects, adverse drug reactions, toxicities, drug interactions, and incompatibilities using established internal and external guidelines. (EF)
- Provides pharmaceutical care at the fundamental to advanced level for patients within the designated practice area(s). Activities include, but are not limited to, proactive drug therapy reviews and monitoring, patient counseling, transitions of care management including medication acquisition process support, and management of pharmacist-based dosing protocols. (EF)
- Participates in quality management initiatives such as, but not limited to: medication use evaluations, adverse drug reaction and medication error reporting, clinical interventions, medication center reviews, and inventory management documentation and reporting. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Contributes to the provision of pharmacoeconimically sound medication therapy by upholding HM Formulary standards in area(s) of responsibility and avoiding medication-related complications. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time; effectively prioritizing tasks for self and for others within the specialty area of focus. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Presents in-services for pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staff members in area(s) of responsibility. Develops educational materials and provides educational programs for the pharmacy staff and other hospital personnel. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand one’s learning beyond fundamental competencies with a focus on continual development as a Clinical Specialist. (EF)
- Contributes to the design, analysis and reporting of quality improvement program findings.
- Participates in research projects to advance organizational quality of care and the pharmacy profession. Submits research and scholarly work for publication, platform presentations, and/or poster presentations.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section
o Must have one of the following:
o Successful completion of an ASHP-accredited post-graduate year one (PGY1) residency training program or equivalent experience (i.e., three years of pharmacy experience per residency year) required; ASHP-accredited post-graduate year two (PGY2) or fellowship preferred
o Three years of clinical practice experience
o Meets HM standards of an ASHP-Qualified Residency Preceptor within one year of employment
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Pharmacist License or eligible for Texas Pharmacist License; must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 90 days of employment for pharmacists regularly assigned to respond to code blue events (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification and training within 90 days of employment as determined by entity need (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Texas Pharmacist Preceptor Certification within 90 days of employment
o Sterile Compounding and Aseptic Technique (SCAT) and horizontal and/or vertical use Certification within 90 days of employment (*If verifying and/or preparing any sterile product- See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute Certificate within 90 days of employment (See manager for details and tracking information)
o Board of Pharmacy Specialist (BPS) Certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers; capable of assuming responsibility for coordinating the activities of a major pharmacy service area
o Demonstrates professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization, and distribution of drugs and drug information and applies these to all patient groups, neonate to geriatric
o Operates at a proficient level with regards to one’s application of the principles of rational drug therapy including but not limited to: application of current evidence-based guidelines, novel and innovative clinical practices
o Knowledge of operational pharmacy practice and demonstrated record of experience providing fundamental clinical pharmacy services and demonstrated experience with direct patient care activities and interactions with nursing and medical staff members
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a limited basis (for Exempt jobs only)
Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
*Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Rotating evening and weekends may be required. All pharmacy staff are required to be trained on the risks and safe handling of hazardous drugs; and confirm in writing an understanding of the potential reproductive risks associated with handling hazardous drugs.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, Leading Medicine is more than a description of what we do; it's who we are. We take our responsibility as Houston's premier health care system seriously, and with a national reputation for excellence in patient care, innovation and research, we hold ourselves and the careers we build to a higher standard. Our culture is diverse, dynamic and challenging. We believe in our I Care Values and conduct ourselves with Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect for others and a commitment to Excellence. Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
You can click on the video links below to learn more!
· About Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClN3mmKT0EI
· Nursing at Houston Methodist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfmVeansTo
· Houston - Best City to Live In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLQzGBjHJw