Technical Editor Intern - Military Veterans
at ATA Engineering Inc.
Technical Editor Intern
ATA Engineering, 13290 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, CA 92128
ATA is seeking a technical editor intern with a background in writing, editing, and proofreading. As the position involves reviewing highly technical engineering documents and identifying and correcting a broad range of grammatical and stylistic problems, the successful candidate will be meticulous and detail oriented, with an exceptional command of standard written English and the ability to engage with high-level technical material and unfamiliar topics. This position has the potential to evolve into a full-time, regular position depending upon performance feedback and business needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Format and edit technical engineering documents (including proposals, reports, presentations, and papers) in accordance with ATA style guide
- Adjust formatting and layout in MS Word and PowerPoint
- Identify and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax without altering meaning
- Suggest potential stylistic, structural, and graphical improvements for readability and professional appearance of documents
- Verify facts and flag errors, omissions, and inconsistencies
- Work with writers to incorporate edits into final document
- Finalize documents using MS Word and Adobe Acrobat
- Support senior editor in related duties as required
- Must be a US Person
- Progress toward a bachelor's degree in English, literature, linguistics, or a related field
- Experience in proofreading and editing documents, with knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style and ability to follow a house style guide
- 1-2 years of experience in a professional office setting
- Ability to prioritize work and organize a variety of work tasks
- Ability to maintain high-quality output under tight deadlines
- Willingness to occasionally work overtime and/or weekends, as necessary
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company information and documents
- Professional dress, appearance, and demeanor
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to spend long periods of time sitting at a computer
- Entry-Mid Career Level: $22.00-$40.00 per hour
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current résumé or CV.
- A copy of your up-to-date college transcripts. You may email them, or request that an official transcript be sent directly to the address below. If your transcript contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting your transcripts.
- A statement confirming that you meet the definition of a US person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15.
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact an ATA Engineering, Inc., Human Resources Representative at [email protected].
San Diego, CA
ATA Engineering, Inc. (ATA) provides innovative solutions through test- and analysis-driven design by focusing on the engineering needs of manufacturers in addressing their cost, quality, and time-to-market challenges for mechanical and aerospace systems. We use testing and analysis coupled with computer-aided engineering and mechanical engineering software to solve problems in the aerospace, entertainment, industrial, biomedical, and consumer products industries. We are experts in applying advanced mechanical engineering software to design, test and analyze mechanical engineering structures.