Associate Buyer - Military Veterans
at Ross Stores, Inc.
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us stronger… At Ross and dd’s, inclusion is a way of life. We care about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and inclusion journey!ASSOCIATE BUYER
About Ross Stores, Inc.
At Ross Stores, Inc. our focus has always been bringing our customers a constant stream of high-quality brands and trends at extraordinary savings, while providing a fun and exciting treasure hunt experience. We believe in keeping things simple: no expensive signage, displays or fancy fixtures - to us, it's far more meaningful to pass greater savings on to our customers with on-trend apparel, accessories, footwear, and home furnishings. With more than 2,000 stores, including Ross Dress for Less and dd's DISCOUNTS, we are the nation's largest off-price retail chain, and we continue to grow at a rate far outpacing traditional retail.
We have three buying offices positioned in key markets in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston. With FY2021 revenues of $18.9 billion, we are a Fortune 500, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 Company, committed to offering an inclusive, safe and positive workplace. Come see what's in store.
At Ross you will find an organization that invites you to be your authentic self. As part of the Ross family you will experience:
- A respectful culture embedded with collaborative partnerships and humility
- Opportunities to give back to your community through national charities and local volunteer initiatives
- A significant investment in your career through extensive onboarding programs, continuous learning opportunities, ongoing development and the opportunity to work with engaged and knowledgeable industry leaders
Addition information is available at: https://jobs.rossstores.com/creative/about
About this opportunity...
The Associate Buyer will establish strong relationships with vendors. Will partner with buyers to ensure merchandise mix in an attempt to continually improve assortments by comp shopping not only the Market but Ross Stores. Associate Buyer will be responsible for anticipating potential problems and risks; generate ideas, insights and solutes to resolve or "head off" potential problems. Partners with all operational and analytical (Merchandise Planning, Store Planning, DC's and dd's) divisions to achieve objectives, and proactively soliciting partnerships with colleagues on crossover vendors to increase leverage.
The base salary range for this role is $84,000 - $96,000. The base salary range is dependent on factors including, but not limited to, experience, skills, qualifications, relevant education, certifications, seniority, and location. The range listed is just one component of the total compensation package for employees. Other rewards vary by position and location.
- Manages direct buying responsibility (based on vendors or classifications) and accountability for sales and margin performance.
- Provides on-going analysis and interpretation of key business issues. This includes monitoring regional merchandise reports (i.e. Cold & Warm Store Strategies), Open-to-Buy monitoring, stock analysis, independently identifying risks and opportunities in the business partnering with Buyer/Planner on plan revisions in addition to the completion of other ad hoc analyses.
- Responsible for purchase order management and administration. This includes: writing orders, changes, cancellations and necessary follow-up (both internally and externally) to ensure key shipments are delivered and processed.
- Proactively networks with vendors regarding available merchandise and will negotiate directly on purchases. This includes frequent visits to showrooms, selecting product and handling negotiations, either independently or in conjunction with their supervisor.
- Displays understanding of current price values by shopping competition regularly, attending frequent market visits and analysis of rack selling.
Who you are...
- You have a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 3 years prior buying experience either buying in regional-size retailer (or associate buyer in large retail chain)
- You have a thorough knowledge of merchandising and technical aspects of merchandising (e.g., fabric, design, silhouettes, etc.)
- You have strong negotiation skills
- You have the ability to partner and influence vendors/cross-functional partners
- You have highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- You have strong analytical and conceptual skills
- You have strong retail math skills
- You have strong analytical and PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications
Perks and Benefits of joining our team...
Our Associates are at the heart of everything we do and we're proud to offer a range of benefits that reflect how much we value their contributions. Here's a peek into what you can expect as an eligible Ross Associate:
- A broad range of affordable health insurance options, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance
- Ample PTO, paid holidays, and Summer Fridays, as well as the opportunity to purchase additional vacation
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Charitable donations matched by Ross Stores Foundation
- Enhanced maternity and bonding leaves with 100% income replacement
- Parent support programs
- And more....
** -- eligibility may vary based on level and tenure, subject to change
This role requires regular in-office presence, including to engage in in-person team interaction, meetings and collaboration, client support, mentoring, coaching, and/or feedback.
New York, NY
At Ross Stores, we’ve found that transitioning service members, veterans and military spouses are a great fit for our culture and have the qualities we seek in our Associates. We offer many points of entry, across our entire organization, depending on your service, experience, and interests. We’ll give you a career, a challenge, and a place to call home.
Veterans are comfortable with a culture that focuses on leadership, execution and problem solving, as well as our commitment to providing actionable feedback.
We offer a similar experience to the structure of the military, with an emphasis on control, policy and protocol.
Like the military, we offer many training opportunities through our targeted learning programs and on-the-job training.
We offer the flexibility to control your career by relocating across our many locations for new opportunities.
Our organization is expanding rapidly, which creates many opportunities for individuals who have the desire to grow their career with us.
Whether in one of our Distribution Centers, Stores, Buying Offices or Corporate office, you will find yourself amongst peers that include other veterans and military spouses.