Summary / Description
We are currently seeking a motivated, career and customer service oriented Linux/Unix Administrator to join our team in Springfield, VA to begin an exciting and challenging career with Unisys Federal Systems. The candidate will have experience demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of key tasks on a large, high visibility IT program. Will perform administration and maintenance activities on various UNIX and Linux servers. Troubleshoot, maintain integrity of and configure network components, along with implementing operating systems enhancements to:
• Build, configure, monitor and maintain Unix based systems in a virtual environment
• Build, configure, monitor and maintain storage environments
• Provides tier 2 and 3 supports for escalations from Help Desk
• Knowledge and experience troubleshooting Linux and Unix based systems
• Participate in on-call rotations
• Must be able to support infrequent after hours and weekend escalations as needed (aside from on-call rotation)
• Optimize system operations and resource utilization as well as perform system capacity analysis and planning
Seeking an Compute Systems Lead. The candidate will have 5 years of experience demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of key tasks on a large high visibility IT program.
The Linux / Unix Administer is responsible for the technical direction, issues, architecture, technical integration and technical service levels. Define technical requirements & design to support defined business requirements, develop technical architecture components, participate in detailed design and code reviews, reviews system performance and consumption issues, review test plans, and provide technical guidance. Define and ensure adherence to architecture standards and ensures the proper technical design decisions are being made. Must be knowledgeable in the administration of Microsoft and Linux servers, VMware virtualization technologies. Duties will include:
• Working on high visibility or mission critical aspects of a given program and performs all functional duties independently.
• Providing leadership and/or be responsible for the efforts of all staff assigned to a specific job.
• Possessing and applying a comprehensive knowledge across key tasks and high impact assignments. Plans and leads major technology assignments. Evaluates performance results and recommends major changes affecting short-term project growth and success. Functions as a technical expert across multiple project assignments. May supervise others.
• Providing system administration and operational support for server infrastructure, hypervisor, and Operating Systems. Contractor shall design and implement automated failover and automated recovery solution.
• Implement, and maintain an Automated Configuration Management, by using tools including but not limited to Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or other according to OIT direction to ensure consistent configurations on all server operating systems.
• Manage and monitor the performance, utilization of the various server resources, support the analysis as well as correction of all end-user computing and network problems that may be associated with server processing. Contractor shall design and implement automated resource management of virtual assets to include automated corrective actions for systems experiencing performance issues related to the technical stack from Operating System to Infrastructure (i.e., does not include middleware/Java/etc).
• Utilize tools and processes, including but not limited to software distribution, backups, performance measurement, tuning, license and asset management to allow automated as well as remote systems management of the server environment.
• Provide support to resolve incident, problem, or service requests that require subject matter expertise and cannot be resolved by the EOC. Task personnel shall provide final problem resolution.
• Work with EOC to implement automated preventative measures, proactive monitoring and system self-healing capabilities to limit outages/performance issues which impact service levels.
• Contribute to the Root Cause Analysis efforts when applicable.
• Coordinate with the designated government lead to establish an automated and on-demand capability for the reporting of Capacity/Performance to include the measurement and analysis of resource utilization and trends for both physical and virtual assets. Contractor shall also establish a dashboard for performance monitoring and resource utilization including Real-Time and Historical trends.
• Provide remote support for OS and standard software build installation activities as required to meet SLAs.
• Perform system or component configuration changes necessary to support Server Virtualization products.
• Provide and maintain security hardened baseline configurations (software) and deploy security (patches), software maintenance (patches) and new software releases across the Database and supporting products infrastructure
• Bachelors and 10 years of recent experience or equivalent
• 4 years’ experience providing technical guidance for directing and monitoring information systems operations. Designs, builds, and implements network systems.
• 4 years’ experience Directing compilation of records and reports concerning network operations and maintenance. Troubleshoots network performance issues. Analyzes network traffic and provides capacity planning solutions.
• 4 years’ experience directing system-level design and configuration of products including determination of hardware, OS, and other platform specifications.
• 2 years’ experience providing quality assurance review and the evaluation of new and existing software products.
• 2 years’ experience providing input to policy level discussions regarding standards and budget constraints.
• 4 years’ experience demonstrated professional expertise gained from experience with operating systems including Windows and/or Linux OS.
• Must be proficient the use of the Microsoft Office productivity suite.
• US Citizenship
• Experience in a variety of systems engineering tasks and activities that are broad in nature and are concerned with major systems design, integration, and implementation, including personnel, hardware, software, budgetary, and support facilities and/or equipment.
• Knowledgeable in the administration of Microsoft and Linux servers, Microsoft SQL, VMware virtualization technologies, Firewalls, VPN, and Cisco IOS.
Do you have what it takes to be mission critical?
Your skills and experience could be mission critical for our Unisys team supporting the Federal Government in their mission to protect and defend our nation, and transform the way government agencies manage information and improve responsiveness to their customers. As a member of our diverse team, you’ll gain valuable career-enhancing experience as we support the design, development, testing, implementation, training, and maintenance of our federal government’s critical systems.
Apply today to become mission critical and help our nation meet the growing need for IT security, improved infrastructure, big data, and advanced analytics.
Unisys is a global information technology company that solves complex IT challenges at the intersection of modern and mission critical. We work with many of the world's largest companies and government organizations to secure and keep their mission-critical operations running at peak performance; streamline and transform their data centers; enhance support to their end users and constituents; and modernize their enterprise applications. We do this while protecting and building on their legacy IT investments. Our offerings include outsourcing and managed services, systems integration and consulting services, high-end server technology, cybersecurity and cloud management software, and maintenance and support services. Unisys has more than 23,000 employees serving clients around the world.
Unisys offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from first day of employment, a 401k with an immediately vested company match, vacation and educational benefits. To learn more about Unisys visit us at www.Unisys.com.
Unisys is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - Minorities, Females, Disabled Persons, and Veterans.
Solving Complex Client Challenges with Reliable IT Solutions
We’re a worldwide technology services and solutions company dedicated to providing clients with reliable, secure IT solutions to cut costs and optimize performance. We apply Unisys expertise in consulting, systems integration, outsourcing, infrastructure, and server technology to help our clients achieve their business goals. We give our clients the visibility to see their business more clearly—ahead of decision points, investments, and risks.
An Innovative Company with a Global Reach
And we’re not just in one or two countries—we're global, operating in over 100 countries and in both hemispheres. So no matter where you are in the world—we’re there too.