Underwriter - Marine (Inland Marine & Ocean Cargo) - Military Veterans
at Combined Insurance
Chubb is the world's largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance, and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
Chubb is currently seeking a skilled Marine Underwriter to join its Middle Market Commercial Insurance practice in the Northeast Region, consisting of branches in Boston, New Haven, and Rochester, NY.
The Marine Underwriter will be responsible for a renewal book of $3M - $4M and a new business goal of approximately $1M-$2M annually. The position will be responsible for driving profitable growth with Northeast Region agents and brokers. Ideally, this Underwriter will underwrite Ocean Cargo, Builder's Risk, Civil Construction projects, Fine Arts, Contractors Equipment, Motor Truck Cargo, Transit, Installation Floaters, Equipment Dealers, and other Marine coverages. This position will collaborate within a large team of commercial underwriters, operations, claims, marketing, and Home Office management as necessary. We are looking for a candidate who is highly motivated, results oriented with solid business and underwriting acumen.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Focused knowledge and experience in Inland Marine or Ocean Cargo. Experience underwriting both coverages is a plus.
• Underwriting duties will include developing and negotiating price, coverage, terms and conditions for all new business and renewals while actively identifying account rounding opportunities for other Chubb practices.
• This position must collaborate with other underwriters, operations, claims, marketing, and home office management as necessary. The underwriter must implement and manage effective pricing and rate strategies that will produce profitability, book growth, and successful producer relations.
• Strong sales and marketing skills are critical; must be able to demonstrate successful agency and broker management, including building, maintaining, and managing producer and customer relationships.
• Ability to identify opportunities for growth within new and existing production sources.
• Knowledge of marketing principles, pricing/rate strategies and how to apply them to attain underwriting profit.
• Candidate must possess a high degree of proficiency with the underwriting process, with a solid background in risk analysis.
• Candidate must have ability to effectively interact with all levels of customers and collaborate with a team of underwriters, claims and loss control personnel.
• Knowledge and proficiency with technical issues, compliance, coverage, products, and pricing strategies expected.
• 3+ years of experience in Inland Marine or Ocean Cargo.
• Must have proven marketing and negotiation skills
• Strong communication, interpersonal and time management skills
Chubb strives to offer a diverse and inclusive and rewarding work environment. Teamwork and mutual respect are central to how Chubb operates and we believe the best solutions draw upon diverse perspectives, experiences and skills. We operate in such a way where everyone, regardless of their singular background has the opportunity to contribute to our collective success.
There are hundreds of insurance companies for you to consider when searching for an insurance career, so why should you choose Combined Insurance? A position with Combined Insurance is much more than just an insurance job - we believe it is the opportunity of a lifetime.
We're a leader in the supplemental insurance industry with a rich history, a solid financial base and a bright future ahead of us. We offer exciting insurance careers with unlimited potential for growth and a merit-based system of advancement.Become an Agent
As we continue to grow, we are looking for successful people to become Combined Insurance sales agents. Talented people in our sales force help us maintain our position as an industry leader in supplemental insurance.
Learn more and view available positionsField Management and Support Careers
Our field managers and support staff are a crucial part of the success of Combined Insurance. These key people help train and manage our agents to be the best they can be, focus on creating and maintaining relationships with businesses and their employees and assist our in-field staff with support from the home office.
Learn more and view available positionsCorporate Careers
Our growth also means we need quality people behind the scenes, in our corporate offices, to serve both our customers and our sales force. There is a variety of exciting insurance career opportunities in our corporate offices to explore.
Learn more and view available positions