Steam and Electric Plant Engineer Technician 3 - 15938 - Military Veterans
at Huntington Ingalls Industries
Requisition Number: 15938
Required Travel: 0 - 10%
Employment Type: Full Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
Hours Per Week: 40
Security Clearance: Ability to Obtain
Level of Experience: Entry Level
Who We Are
At HII we build and maintain U.S. Navy readiness every day. Mission Technologies, a division of HII has an exciting opportunity to join our growing team! As a Steam and Electric Plant Engineer Technician at HII you will provide task support by applying the Joint Fleet Maintenance Manual (JFMM)/Tag-out User's Manual (TUM) requirements to systems maintenance and testing in a depot level maintenance period on the E84 SEP Test Engineering department during a nuclear ship's maintenance period. This position is located at Newport News Shipyard in Newport News, VA!
Who is HII Mission Technologies?
HII is more than a job - it's an opportunity to build a new future. We offer competitive benefits such as best-in-class medical, dental and vision plan choices; onsite health, vision and dental at some locations; wellness resources; employee assistance programs; Savings Plan Options (401(k)); financial planning tools, life insurance; employee discounts; paid holidays and paid time off; tuition reimbursement; as well as early childhood and post-secondary education scholarships.
To learn more about Mission Technologies, click here for a short video:
Essential Job Responsibilities
Provides technical support to engineers on a variety of technical tasks. Gathers, maintains, formats, compiles, and manipulates technical data, such as laboratory or material test results and engineering design changes. Produces engineering documentation, reports, drawings (flow charts, block diagrams, and schematics). Performs detailed mathematical calculations using established formulas; preliminary analyses of data where guidelines are provided in such areas as trajectory adequacy, model dimensional consistency; and quantitative judgments concerning technical data. Uses personal computer in performance of analyses and development of documentation/reports. May conduct tests and record data to assist with engineering evaluation or analysis.
- Candidate must have an AA degree or other 2 year technical degree in a related discipline plus 3 years of related experience; or a High School Diploma plus 5 years related (DoD/USN) experience. Candidate must have prior shipyard or military experience required.
- Candidate having experience with Navy Work Authorization Forms (WAF's) and tag-outs using the electronic Shift Operating Management System (eSOMS) is required.
- Candidate must be able to work in a shipboard environment during a major availability.
- Candidate must be able to lift, carry, transport heavy equipment and climb ladders and stand for extended periods of time.
- Candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Experience in applying the Joint Fleet Maintenance Manual (JFMM)/Tag-out User's Manual (TUM) requirements to systems maintenance and testing in a depot level maintenance period is preferred.
- Prior Nuclear Navy experience is desired.
- Having a Secret Clearance is preferred.
Job performance requires adequate visual acuity and manual dexterity for meeting the requirements of the job. A waterfront office work environment is normally encountered.
HII's Mission Technologies division develops integrated solutions that enable today's connected, all-domain force. Capabilities include C5ISR systems and operations; the application of AI and machine learning to battlefield decisions; defensive and offensive cyberspace strategies and EW; unmanned, autonomous systems; LVC solutions; platform modernization; and critical nuclear operations. Together, HII's domain expertise and advanced technologies support mission partners anywhere around the globe. For more information, visit hii.com/capabilities/mission-technologies
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII's skilled workforce is 44,000 strong.
HII is committed to cultivating an inclusive company culture to promote collaboration and enhance creativity by hiring a diverse work force. HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
Newport News, VA
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides mission-critical national security solutions to government and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs about 44,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
- Builder of the most complex ships in the world for 135 years at Newport News, and 82 years at Ingalls.
- Sole builder of U.S. Navy aircraft carriers, the world’s largest warships, and one of two builders constructing nuclear-powered submarines.
- Exclusive provider of refueling services for nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, at the forefront of new ship technologies, specialized manufacturing capabilities and nuclear facility management.
- Largest industrial employer in Virginia and Mississippi, and an employer in Louisiana and Alabama.
- Largest supplier of U.S. Navy surface combatants—has built more than 70 percent of Navy fleet of warships.
- Builder-of-record for Aegis DDG 51 class of guided missile destroyers.
- Builder of record for the LHA 6 class large-deck amphibious ships and the sole builder of the Navy’s newest fleet of the San Antonio (LPD 17) class amphibious assault ships.
- Builder-of-record for the flagship of the U.S. Coast Guard – the National Security Cutter.
- Provider of mission critical and practical solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide through Technical Solutions.
- Provider of advanced unmanned maritime solutions for defense, marine research and commercial applications
- Next-generation enterprise IT and C51SR
- Management and operations of Department of Energy nuclear sites
- Fleet sustainment
- Employs more than 6,800 engineers and designers.