Maintenance Tech I - IV (Specialist) - Military Veterans
at FedEx Ground
The Maintenance Technician II supports the FedEx Ground Industrial Maintenance for material handling to complete preventative and predictive maintenance and repair of material handling systems. Will utilize prescribed processes as they relate to mechanical power transmission, electrical, PLC/controls, welding/fabrication and other industrial maintenance related systems. May troubleshoot component and systems issues.
- Provides preventative and predictive maintenance and repair of material handling systems through demonstrated competency of two or more specialty skills of mechanical power transmission and/or electrical and/or PLC/controls with basic welding/fabrication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair mechanical and electrical problems and failures within the material handling system but rely on higher level technicians and/or management to make final decisions on more complex issues.
- Adheres to all applicable safety standards and promotes a safe work environment by attending safety meetings and required trainings and addressing all safety concerns.
- Responds to sort calls to diagnose problems and make repairs
- May troubleshoot multiple component issues
- Ability to utilize the Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) software to enter and retrieve prescribed data.
- Somewhat complex skills required in diagnosing and troubleshooting mechanical failures
- May rely on higher level Technicians to assist in more complex troubleshooting and issues
- May be involved in smaller scope projects
- May be required to work a flexible schedule including all days and shifts as the business need dictatesExamples of what you can expect to learn in the Tech II level (does not include all areas/responsibilities)Mechanical
- Identify what component of a conveyor (bearing, pulley, etc.) has caused a conveyor belt to become tracked incorrectly and repair/replace it.
- Ability to diagnose a power transmission failure by determining which component has failed, such as motor failure, gearbox failure, or possible locked up pulley or roller
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and manualsElectrical
- Ability to use a digital multimeter on AC/DC voltage, continuity, and resistance settings to find failed components and shorted wires.
- Ability to test a relay or contactor to determine which contacts are bad, not just that the component itself has failed.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical drawings/schematics and manualsPLC/Controls
- Can open PLC programs offline
- Can troubleshoot electrical controls issues utilizing the I/O lights on a PLCWelding or Fabrication
- Can MIG and stick weld in multiple positions (vertical, overhead, etc.)
- Can weld new parts together using appropriate rods, wire, gas, etc.
- Can fabricate basic parts such as a guard or bracket
- Ability to use oxygen/acetylene torch
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Certificates in Industrial Maintenance/Mechatronics, electrical or mechanical trade or related area and an associate degree in a related area preferred.
- Two (2) years experience in Industrial Maintenance/Mechatronics with competency in at least two specialty skills in mechanical power transmission, electrical, or PLC/Controls, with basic welding/fabrication skills required.
- Related military experience will be considered.
- In lieu of experience, an associate degree in an Industrial Maintenance/electrical/mechanical trade or related certificates or other degrees may be considered equivalent.
- Multiple certificates and degrees may be assessed by manager and HR to determine relevancy to minimum qualifications and experience
Required Skills, Abilities and / or Licensure
- Ability to follow procedures as directed by work orders or high-level technicians/management
- Ability to utilize the Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) software to enter and retrieve prescribed data
- Ability to solve basic mechanical or electrical problems, which may include understanding of basic engineering formulas
- Ability to diagnose mechanical power transmission and electrical issues by troubleshooting at multiple component level
- Effective verbal and written communication within own department to peers, managers, and outside vendors to convey technical data and needs
- Ability to follow detailed instructions
- Software skills, including Microsoft Office suite and other web-based applications
- Possess time management and organizational skills
Other Job Description Information
Monday - Friday
11:00p - 7:30a
City: Maple Grove
Zip Code: 55369
Domicile Location: FXG-US/USA/P550/Osseo
Auto req ID: 399903BR
Position Type: Full time
Employee Type: Non-Exempt
FedEx Ground is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans) committed to a diverse workforceSearch Engine Description: Maintenance
FedEx Ground is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans) committed to a diverse workforce
FedEx is committed to making your transition into the corporate world simple, effective, and enjoyable through the most advanced technology available for veteran hiring.
The FedEx culture begins where all good company cultures should—with people. Our PSP (People, Service, Profits) business philosophy is anchored in the teamwork you'd recognize from your military days.
At FedEx, you'll find everything you'd expect of a people-first, global industry leader. From benefits to special training to advancement opportunities, our offering is deep and wide to match our commitment to your career aspirations.
Do you want to learn more about how your military background and skillset can crossover to roles with FedEx? Joining our talent community, following us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter will give you real-time updates on company activity, our culture, and employment opportunities.