The Commercial Driver is responsible for driving a company vehicle less than three tons to deliver merchandise to commercial customers. This position will also pickup returned merchandise and cores from commercial customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Load and unload vehicle unassisted
- Ensure the piece count is correct for each order and matches the invoice
- Maintain all log books and company records
- Operate vehicle in a safe manner and obey all traffic laws
- Ensure all equipment and materials are maintained including equipment and materials assigned to the vehicle
- Promptly report any vehicle maintenance problems
- Follow all company safety guidelines
- Build long-term relationships with customers
- May assist with customer service activities within the store as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- 1 year of experience in delivery driving is preferred
- Valid driver's license is required
- Must maintain a driving record which meets state and company standards
- Ability to read and identify part numbers that are numeric or alpha-numeric is required
- Ability to exercise judgement and to work independently
- Must demonstrate consistency, accuracy and follow-through
- Comfortable utilizing up sell techniques
- Ability to handle difficult customer service situations
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift, carry, and place merchandise and supplies up to 50 pounds without assistance
- Extensive standing, walking, pushing and reaching
- Need full range of motion for climbing, balancing, reaching, bending and stooping
- Repetitive movement of hands, arms, legs
- Must be able to climb up/down ladders to retrieve and stock merchandise
- Must be able to effectively communicate in person, by telephone, or by using telecommunications equipment
- Must be able to enter and locate information on a computer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and read small print
- Safely operate a motor vehicle
- May work outside and be exposed to weather
- Exposure to adverse weather conditions, chemicals, odors, dirt and dust
SHIFTING CAREERS INTO HIGH GEAR
Pep Boys was founded by Navy veterans in 1921 and today, we proudly employ military veterans and reserve-duty servicemembers like you throughout over 900 locations. If you’re passionate about vehicles and servicing the communities that depend on them, your unique and valuable skillsets will be a perfect match for our service bays, distribution centers, or store support centers.
We offer a variety of career options across the United States and Puerto Rico, as well as extensive training and development opportunities and a wide array of health and wellness benefits. Our mission is simple: to make quality car care simple, convenient, and accessible for everyone.
At Pep Boys, we go further to help your career go farther.