Leadership Management Trainee Engineering - Military Veterans
The Leadership Management Trainee Engineering (LMT-E) program ensures that new trainees have the necessary leadership, industry knowledge and technical skills to successfully function as a production supervisor. This program gives trainees a solid foundation in railroading, a strong support network and the necessary skills to ensure the reliability of our rail infrastructure.
This intensive seven-month training program includes classroom instruction, online training, workshops, projects and on-the-job training. You will be exposed to CPKC’s core business by completing a 10 week manager conductor training course. For 16 weeks, new engineering management employees learn the competencies required to oversee the safe operation and supervision of capital work projects, track renewal programs and infrastructure improvements.
This program includes training in leadership, safety and an introduction to railway capital work project management, the fundamentals of CPKC’s precision scheduled railroading operating model, computer systems training and exposure to key departments within CPKC. Upon completion, you will be placed within CPKC’s network as a production supervisor.
Apply now to join our next class starting June 19, 2023.
- Quickly learn, retain and use railroad operating systems, applications and local operating plans to assign tasks and manage productivity within engineering teams;
- Be a safety leader through active observations and discussions about rule compliance and by implementing preventative measures through staff engagement;
- Exhibit the leadership capacity to be an effective leader of engineering department employees;
- Model the competencies of effective leadership: drive for results, lead others, lead thought and lead by example;
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency when prioritizing work and make decisions aligned with CPKC’s values of accountability, diversity and pride as well as the five foundations: operate safely, develop people, control costs, optimize assets and provide service;
- Complete and pass management train conductor certification and be able to be deployed once qualified and as the business requires: failure to pass the conductor certification will result in removal from the program; and
- Successfully complete all phases of the LMT program by achieving minimum requirements on written, and practical evaluations; and deliver all reading, assignments and projects within assigned timelines.
- High school/general equivalency diploma is required, candidates with post-secondary education in a technical trade are preferred;
- 1-2 years’ previous supervisory experience in transportation, logistics, supply chain management, military, airlines, mining, or manufacturing industry is preferred;
- Past railway experience in a track maintenance, foreman or machine operator role an asset;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time, training may be delivered in multiple locations;
- Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to relocate across the CPKC network
- Willingness to work 24/7 shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays is a requirement;
- Ability to work in all weather conditions;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills effectively communicate CPKC policies, procedures, project plans, safety guidelines etc.
- Able to foster trust and credibility in new work environments; build strong relationships across the business;
- Proven time management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations; and
- Leadership presence with the drive and commitment to career advancement.
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive retirement plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
Training Program Location
The majority of training will take place in St. Paul, MN; However, you will also be required to travel to Calgary, Alberta Canada at intervals during the course of your training and some on the job training will be required in the field within various states or territories throughout CPKC’s network in the states.
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements. Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to relocate.
CPKC is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. A qualification drug test is also required.
To be eligible for hire in this role, all candidates must successfully complete criminal history and reference checks as well as a driver’s license verification.
CPKC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
At CPKC, we value and recognize the invaluable skills and experience you have gained from serving your country. Leadership, teamwork, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a strong focus on safety are among the many skills that veterans bring to railroading. That's why we want to be your first choice in a new career outside the military.
St Paul, MN
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network.
Why work at CPKC:
There are many reasons why more than 20,000 employees have chosen to work at CPKC, including:
- Diversity in the workplace
We support an open and honest work environment where differences are valued and all employees are given equal opportunity to contribute and develop.
- Our Foundations
A building is only as strong as its foundation; railroads are no different
- Compensation & Benefits
Our compensation program is benchmarked yearly to ensure our compensation practices reflect the realities of the market.
- Health and Safety of our employees
No job is so important that proper time cannot be taken to do it safely. At CPKC, safety is an absolute priority.
At CPKC, we're all railroaders and our culture is one of hard work, accountability and doing what we say we'll do. Why? Because we want to see our customers' businesses grow. Our company's ongoing growth and pursuit of both new transportation initiatives and operational improvement require a highly skilled, flexible and committed workforce.
Learn more about the many career opportunities with CPKC:
We recognize the invaluable skills and experience that you have gained from serving for your country. That's why we want to be your first choice in a new career outside the military. We offer rewarding careers, competitive pay and benefits, and advancement opportunities.
Not sure where to start? / Application Advice:
We encourage military personnel to apply at CPKC within 90 days of your release from service. The following tips and advice will help you apply for position online and prepare for an interview.
Click the link below to guide you to a career opportunity with CPKC that will align with your military experience:
When to Apply:
We recommend that you apply for open positions within 90 days of the actual date you can begin work. This will allow time to find the position that best matches your previous education and experience. Depending on the position, the recruitment process typically takes 5-8 weeks after a job posting closes to complete the process. To understand more about the hiring process for a particular position, please visit the hiring process.
How to Apply:
- Create an account profile on our website.
- When you apply for positions, you are required to self-identify as “Military Organization” for the question “How did you hear about this position?”
- If there are currently no positions in your area that match your qualifications, we encourage you to create a Job Profile (account) and set-up ‘Job Alerts’ that will advise you when new jobs have been posted in your area of interest.
- For more information on how to apply, create a profile, or a job alert, please read our frequently asked questions.
If you have a local address in the geographical location of the job you are applying for, use that address on your resume. Please also use an email address and telephone number where you can receive communication from CPKC. Most communication for our jobs postings are via email, so it is important that you check your email regularly for updates.
Website: Our careers website is https://www.cpkcr.com/en-ca/careers
Disclaimer: At CPKC, we value and recognize the invaluable skills and experience you have gained from serving your country. Leadership, teamwork, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a strong focus on safety are among the many skills that veterans bring to railroading. That's why we want to be your first choice in a new career outside the military.
The skills and experience you’ve gained while serving in the military align exceptionally well with the railroading industry.
There are no limits to how far your career will take you with CPKC. We offer career growth and professional development opportunities.